Peterborough Backrest

Graham

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Came across this, and am not familiar with how to use it. Would it be used with a double ended paddle while sitting on the bottom, or is it just for a passenger to enjoy the ride? Tiny 1.5cm decal on it, and looks like an A stamped on a slat.

Attachments

• backrest.jpg
    backrest.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 251
Very cool piece Graham. Most backrests were intended for passengers to sit on the bottom of the canoe and lean back on these while the paddler was on a seat in normal fashion. However, they are also well purposed for leaning against while you sit on bottom with double paddle or when taking a break. Thanks for posting the photo. It is a small Peterborough decal.

I've got a few folding chairs that have this for the back part. Hinged to the seat part with pairs of brass eye bolts. Yours is a little different - cut of the bottom and size of decal - but otherwise essentially identical. I like these. Nice find.

Thanks for the info, I see it in the '37 to '46 Catalogues. I took it down to the lake tonight, and tried it in a few configurations. I don't think it really works well with a double bladed paddle, as you're very low. It does feel quite comfortable at a mild angle against a thwart or seat. I'm surprised how small it looks in the canoe. I've always expected passengers to help with the paddling... this is a little different. Kind of fun.

Attachments

• backrestdecal.jpg
    backrestdecal.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 235
  • backrestcanoe.jpg
    backrestcanoe.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 243
Had one of those last year, it was part of a sailing rig on the CCC we bought. We traded the full rig to Douglas Ingram for some white cedar we needed. We put the boat at the late 30's so that would fit your time line as well.

Karin

I like that idea, put a small mast on the Lakefield and try sailing it downwind while sitting on the bottom...

Back