Old Town - 8 foot 53063

rnbeals

Curious about Wooden Canoes
8 foot.jpgInterested in a build sheet for this boat.

Thanks
Richard Beals
Dayton Canoe Club
Est. 1913

Last edited:
The Old Town canoe with serial number 53063 is an 8 foot long, AA (or top) grade, display model with red western cedar planking, open mahogany gunwales, mahogany decks, mahogany thwarts, mahogany seats, keel, and a floor rack. It was built between January and August, 1919. The original exterior paint color was black with an orange stripe and turned down ends. The Old Town Canoe names were added in the center and Dayton Canoe Club was put on the right bow and left stern. It shipped on September 22nd, 1919 to Dayton, Ohio. A scan of this build record can be found by following the link at the attached thumbnail image below.

This scan and several hundred thousand others were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/ot_records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/about-the-wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://store.wcha.org/WCHA-New-Membership.html to join.

It is great to see that this has survived the years so well. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions. Thanks,

Benson

Attachments

• 53063.gif
    53063.gif
    356.6 KB · Views: 214
Benson --

What do you make of the partially legible entry on the bottom of the build record -- "To be given by you in our mutual ----------- ---- ---- Dayton Canoe Club" ?

Did the club buy enough canoes that OT and/or the dealer gave this display model to the club?

What do you make of the partially legible entry on the bottom of the build record

My guess is that it says something like that since it obviously was intended to end up there. It is not clear if the club had purchased enough canoes to be given this as part of their usual sales incentives or if this was just a straight marketing effort. Other clubs and similar organizations were given model canoes for marketing purposes. Another mystery,

Benson

Thank you, Benson. I never guessed that the lettering was factory applied. When I get a chance, I'll take some more photos. The floor rack is intact, some minor damage to the seat cane.

I'll confirm with the treasurer that our membership is up to date.

Rich Beals
Dayton Canoe Club
Est. 1913

A few years ago I purchased a book of financial information from the Carleton Canoe Company and the attached page appears to be an example of a model canoe given to another canoe club for marketing purposes. It shows "1 miniature canoe for display for Trenton Canoe Club" that was sent at "no chg." or free under Carleton order number 1752 on June 24th, 1914. It does not appear to have been marked with a serial number. The other interesting point is that there is no indication of the Trenton Canoe Club or anyone else in that area ordering a train car load of canoes at the same time. This seems to indicate that these models were occasionally given away for reasons other than dealer incentives related to large purchases. The Trenton Canoe Club has ceased to exist so let me congratulate the Dayton Canoe Club for their perseverance.

Benson

Attachments

• Carleton-model.jpg
    Carleton-model.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Hi Benson,

Your citing of the 8' canoe sent to the Trenton Canoe Club by Old Town immediately brings up the question where is that model now? It also conjures up daydreams of digging thought a cluttered attic or an old barn and finding it. Let it be me!

R.C.

Years ago, there were 2 smaller ( 3' maybe) canoes hanging in the Dayton Canoe Club meeting room above the Stickley chairs. My recollection is that they were Carleton canoes. Rich, are they still there, and do they have serial numbers?

Back