Old Town 8' canoe model serial #53063 8

Jatfomike

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hi,
I am a member of the Dayton Canoe Club in Dayton, Ohio (founded 1912) and in our "Commodore's Room", we have hanging the above canoe. We have two Carleton Canoes (app. 42.5" in length) also on display. They have no visible serial #'s. I have been tasked with inventorying/maintaining club boats and can find no paper work on any of these. Curiously enough, the hull on all 3 canoes appears to be the same color and the lettering on all three boats is painted with three similiar colors giving a 3d appearance. I am wondering if all 3 boats were made in the Old Town factory after the merger /fire at the Carleton factory. I am hoping you may have the build sheet or more information on at least the Old Town model. I can provide photos if that would help.

Thank-you,

Mike Auricchio
Dayton, Ohio

Welcome, the first link below has the build record for the eight foot model in the title of this thread from a previous request. Many of the small Old Town and Carleton display models don't have serial numbers so no additional documentation is available for them. The last two links show 42 inch Carleton models which are probably similar to the ones in your club's collection. These are all likely to have been made after Carleton was sold to Old Town in 1910. The ones in the picture below both have serial numbers confirming that they were made in the 1920s. Let me know if there is anything else that I can do to help.

Benson

Carleton-2 .jpg

Last edited:
Hi Benson,
Thank-you for your prompt response! I knew Richard B. had reached out years ago concerning our three Old Town "War Boats" and he told me that he had also received the information on this 8' model....I searched and found the war boat thread, but had no luck with this one. We allegedly have documentation somewhere on the club acquisition of one of the Carleton 42" models, but I have not found it yet......Walking into our clubhouse is like walking into a time capsule, open a door and you never know what you will find.

Thank-you again,

Mike A.

Yes Mike,
I haven't been there in years, but the Dayton Canoe Club is a "time capsule". From the Stickley furniture to all of the old canoes. If a video tour has not been done, it certainly would be a good idea. Gil

Hi Gil,
We have had recent discussions about a video tour! Coincidentally enough, earlier this week we found three VHS tapes, all appear to have been made in the early 90's. One is supposed to be a video tour, one was of a club river trip, and the third has footage of annual Club Regattas from 1914 and 1964! None of us have a VHS player anymore, but on Monday I am going to drop them off at a local video/photo lab in the hopes of making digital copies....fingers crossed! Who knows how many video formats the 1914 footage has been copied over to over the years....

Mike A.

Hello Mike:
As a long time collector of display sample canoes, with some extensive familiarity regarding both Carleton and Old Town samples, I would love to see photos of the pieces at the Dayton Club. I have previously known of the 8' Old Town sample #53063, having uncovered documentation of it while doing a deep search of OT build cards some years ago. That sample was shipped on 22 September 1919. It went to the G W Shrayer & Co. of Dayton OH, and was originally described as having a black painted hull bearing an orange stripe with turned down ends. It was lettered "Old Town Canoe" and also "Dayton Canoe Club" (on right bow, left stern). Your post states: "all 3 canoes appear to be the same color". That I find very intriguing and evokes my interest in seeing a photo of the Carleton samples. I have never come across a 42" Carleton sample painted anything other than a typical "Palm Green". While I cannot claim to have seen every Carleton sample made, I have seen quite a few of the 'guesstimated' two dozen or so which may have been made, including those of the 8' size.

When it comes to sample canoes, rather few were ever made (by any North American canoe manufacturers) in the years prior to 1935, by which time the heyday for their production (19-teens through the 1920's) had passed. Old Town made the most: likely about 60 - 70 of the 48" size, and perhaps another 50 of the 8' length. There are only 35 OT build cards known for 4' OT samples, and another 35 for the 8-footers; those records, though, are notoriously incomplete, as samples made both before and after that period of time (1912-1931, when actual records were kept) are known to exist. My personal gut feeling is that Carleton, by comparison, likely made a dozen or so 42" and/or 48" samples, and another dozen 8' items. Again, as a result of delving into early build cards, I can say that records exist between 1911 and 1926, following the take-over of Carelton by Old Town, showing the production of seven 4' samples and five 8' samples bearing the Carelton brand name.

One of the complicating factors in knowing just who built what, and when, and of what size, is the fact that the smaller Carleton samples show up in two distinct lengths - 42" and 48". The post take-over build records for Carleton (under OT management) all describe the samples as being of "4'" length. There are no records of which I am aware which refer to Carleton samples being of 42" length. I differ somewhat from Benson in believing that some of the 42" samples may well have been made by Carleton, in its own right, prior to or just around the time of the take over. That several 42" Carleton-branded samples exist is a demonstrable fact. I recall having seen or handled probably 8 or so. One curious sample I possessed a few years ago was a 42" piece, painted in beautiful Old Town red, bearing the early OT lettering "genuine OLD TOWN CANOE CO. canoes". This was highly unusual in that normally such an OT sample from that time period would have been 48" in length. But, on close inspection, it turned out that it had originally been painted a palm green color. I did not disturb the red OT side paint to ascertain whether there was Carleton lettering underneath; I do suspect it was there. My theory is that this was something of a "hybrid", likely made by Carleton just prior to the take-over, and liveried in typical Carleton palm green color. That it was later repainted in authentic factory-applied Old town red was undeniable, and it was lettered in proper OT brand name along the gunnels. All of which leads me to believe that at least some of these early 42" Carleton-branded samples may date to 1910, or just before. i am the owner of the Carleton sample referred to in Benson's first response above, appearing on "Collector Weekly", rescued from Staten Island. I now believe it to be no later than 1910. At one time, I had another identical item which appeared to be even slightly earlier.

As for the 42" Carleton sample noted in Benson's post above, as sold in the Bonhams Skinner auction in March 2019, all I can say is "Wow!" I did not know of that sale until now; one of the few that I have missed over the past 30-odd years. I have some thoughts: first off, I take issue with the auctioneer's suggestion that it could date as early as the late 1800's. I think it highly unlikely to be any earlier than about 1905, but perhaps is pre-1910. In spite of the fact that Guy Carleton was making boats in the 1870's, full-sized canvas-covered canoes did not widely appear to be commercially available until the 1890's, and smaller, brand name, factory sample models did not make much of an appearance in America until the early 1900's, mostly through their introduction by the Old Town Canoe Co. as a marketing strategy; they were selectively and sparingly awarded to only the very best and largest customer outlet stores as 'premiums' in thanks for their high volume business. I believe Carleton and other makers were more or less forced to introduce similar display samples in order to compete, or were inclined to copy Old Town's marketing efforts. The Bonhams/Skinner sample looks to be quite good overall. I would have expected a more worthy pre-sale estimate to be at least double (i.e., $8000 - $12,000), and would not have been surprised to see it bring $14-$15K, more in keeping with other known contemporary sales. Someone got a half-price bargain!! I do note that one of the photos seems to suggest that there may be breaks through both rails at the starboard end of the thwart just behind the front seat. Other than that, it seems a very presentable, original-looking, authentic piece, my caveat being that reliance solely upon photos can be misleading, and that in-hand examination is the only reliable way to proceed.

Hope this is of some help.

Last edited:
A further thought in relation to Benson's first response above, where he says: "The ones in the picture below both have serial numbers confirming that they were made in the 1920s."

My instinctive experience would suggest to me, simply from visual impression alone, irrespective of the existence or not of any serial #'s, that both these Carleton samples were products of the Old Town Canoe factory. That is, to me anyway, their undeniable overall visual sense. They compare extremely closely and well to contemporaneous Old Town samples of that era. I do, however, note the slight difference in their shear line, with the sample in the background having sharper, higher stem peaks, and the sample in the foreground having flatter shear, greater recurve to the stem and more "nose". Benson and I are aware of similar differences appearing in 4' Old Town samples of this period. Without knowing the serial numbers involved here, and with regard to your statement that both Carleton samples date to the 1920's, I'm going to hazard the guess that the sample in the background dates just slightly earlier in time and was built on OT's older 4' form, while the sample in the foreground likely came off OT's newer (later) 4' form, believed to have been introduced around 1922. I'm curious: does such speculation hold up? Does it reinforce our thinking about shear line differentiation, and introduction of a newer OT 4' sample building form ca. 1922? Have we uncovered a bit of a 'tell-tale' which assists somewhat in possibly helping to date Old Town and Carleton samples, even if just in a small way relative to pre and post 1922?

Last edited:
IMG_5502.jpegIMG_5505.jpegIMG_5503.jpegIMG_5506.jpegIMG_5515.jpegIMG_5518.jpegIMG_5516.jpeg
Here are photos of the Carletons…..other than one having some damage, they are identical…..I apologize for the poor quality of the photos….I shot them with my “old” IPhone 8……‍♂️. The “black” paint on the hull of the Old Town as well as the paint used for the lettering to me, looks identical to what was used on the Carletons.

Mike

Thanks for the photos, Mike. The 8' Old Town sample certainly seems to correspond with the relevant OT 53063 build card details. Interesting that it came with floor boards, but these don't seem to be mentioned in the detailed comments; however, there does seem to be a faint date stamp on the card next to the "Floor rack" portion. As for the deck decal, this would seem to be appropriate for a 1919 build; it does not contain any reference to "Trade Mark" in the edge of the black horizontal bar, which Benson has previously noted seems to show up included there beginning circa 1921.

As for the two Carleton samples belonging to the Club, I would think, based on visual instinct and gut feel, that they possibly are from the post-1922 era, based upon side profile of their shear lines (lower, flatter), and stem recurve. I could be wrong, and would agree with Benson that they are likely made at Old Town, post-take over. I am attaching some photos of two Carleton samples owned by me showing their profiles, seat caning, lettering, gunnel caps (which yours seem to lack). I believe these samples could be as early as 1908/10. They bear green painted hulls typical of what I have observed on other Carleton samples. The last pic shows the 'hybrid' OT 42" red hulled sample, originally painted Carleton 'palm green', which I believe may have been built ca. 1910 or just prior, by Carleton, but later repainted/rebranded (in factory) and released by OT post-take over. The red paint and brand lettering all appear to be authentic. The little canoe is also a 'closed gunnel' style, again suggestive of a fairly early date. But then I see that your sample is also closed gunnel, so perhaps my above observation is of no consequence. Our respective examples both have metal 'wrap-around' bands at the ends of the rails, thus sharing that characteristic.

Attachments

• Carl1.JPG
    Carl1.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 48
  • Carl3.JPG
    Carl3.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 42
  • F Carleton1.JPG
    F Carleton1.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 41
  • F Carleton3.JPG
    F Carleton3.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 47
  • F Carleton5.JPG
    F Carleton5.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 46
  • F Carleton6.JPG
    F Carleton6.JPG
    232.7 KB · Views: 52
  • F Carleton8.JPG
    F Carleton8.JPG
    202.9 KB · Views: 47
  • early Carleton detail - bow.JPG
    early Carleton detail - bow.JPG
    210.8 KB · Views: 51
  • early Carleton1.JPG
    early Carleton1.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 46
  • hybrid OT.jpg
    hybrid OT.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
The Carleton display model with the black border stripe in the background above has the Carleton serial number 18567. The build record does not show the shipping destination or date but the preceeding and following records are from February, 1924. The Carleton shipping ledger shows some canoe chairs with an eight foot long and a four foot long display canoe being shipped to the Gimbel Brothers Department Store in New York City on February 19th, 1924 so this is a likely match. It eventually surfaced in a Maine auction. I believe that this is 42 inches long.

The green Carleton display model with the gold stripe in the foreground above has the Old Town serial number 89161. The build record clearly indicates that it was "Lettered Carleton Canoe Co." This is another 'hybrid' like the red one that Roger mentioned before but in the reverse. All of the records indicate that it shipped to the J. L. Hudson Department Store in Detroit, Michigan on February 16th, 1926. It was a consignment and the back side of the record shows that it came back to the factory on December 16th, 1926. It was shipped out again on May 18th, 1927 to Gimbel Brothers in New York City. This appeared in a North Carolina auction. It is 48 inches long.

I think that all of these Carleton display models were made after 1910 because the lettering and most of the build charcteristics are identical to the Old Town display models. The 'transfer letters' are shown in the Old Town factory inventories from 1912 to 1915. The link at https://forums.wcha.org/attachments/decal-inv-jpg.9802/ shows the one from 1915. The magnified letter below confirms that it wasn't hand painted. It seems unlikely that Carleton and Old Town would have independently selected the identical transfer letters unless they were both operating out of the same factory. Let me know if you have other questions. Thanks,

Benson

Attachments

• 89161-c.jpg
    89161-c.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 89161-b.jpg
    89161-b.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 89161.jpg
    89161.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 35
  • CC-18567.jpg
    CC-18567.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 40
  • CC-18567-b.jpg
    CC-18567-b.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Lettering.jpg
    Lettering.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Benson, what do you make of the values accorded to the 8' and 4' sample canoes that were shipped to Gimbels, as shown on the February 1924 ledger page? $30 for the 8', $20 for the 4'? They went 'on consignment' it seems. Are these just values which were assigned by OT for book-keeping, or are they expectations of a sale price (or value) to be remitted at some point? And how does this square with the belief that samples were essentially 'premiums' or awards to retail outlets, not customarily sold or available to individuals? And for the sake of comparative value, what was the typical or average 16' full-size CS grade canoe going for at that time?

$30 for the 8', $20 for the 4'?

Yes, it appears that two display models were sold at those prices. An ordinary 16 foot long HW model in CS grade listed for $68 in 1924 for comparison. The details about the various ways that Old Town distributed and accounted for their display or sign canoes remain a mystery to me. The first link below shows a salesman's notes from 1906 indicating that sign canoes were included with two large orders. The second link indicates how sign canoes appeared in Old Town's financial statements from 1907 to 1914. The picture below shows a four foot long canoe that was donated to the Smithsonian Museum in 1907. The two attached build records document small display canoes without serial numbers from 1911 and 1936 that went to a dealer and an artist respectively. This all seems a bit random.

Benson

Smithsonian.JPG

MODEL-8.jpg

MODEL-4.jpg

Last edited:
Back