Not a Morris?

Treewater

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
I was told this was a Morris. The stem profile is not right though the heart deck is similar. The stem inside is the same as a Morris but the seat is not a Morris, dowels instead of tenons. The closed gunwale is rabbited underside full length not cut out in semi circles like a Morris. The back was chopped off in the 50's and a motor mount transom set in. Thwarts seem home made. It would have been 17 foot originally. 34'5 inches at the widest. Modest tumble home. Not too bad a shape and for $50, why not? But, what is it?

Attachments

• IMG_3376.jpg
    IMG_3376.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_3371.jpg
    IMG_3371.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_3372.jpg
    IMG_3372.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_3373.jpg
    IMG_3373.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 256
My guess is a Morris with considerable changes made over the years. Check the interior of the stem to see if the stem bands were riveted. It also could be a Kennebec with a Morris stem. The seat is not a Morris seat, but seats are easily changed.

Stems were taken off and replaced. They were remounted with bolts and nuts which is a typical Morris repair. The bow profile has too much sweep back is my concern. A Morris curves then goes straight up to give the up turn to the deck. As you see, this is a flatter deck more like an OT Guide.

The stem has not been re-worked or does not appear so on the one remaining stem. (Love those hack jobs for outboards.) Dan that Kennebec looks close. If you have a profile of the stem that would help.
More inspection: this canoe had the keel put one with a screw every other rib unlike the Morris where every rib is fastened. it also had sponsons at one time and the buttons (I call them) for the screw were not just a dimpled washer but a deeply formed washer which was difficult to dig out.
The ribs don't feel right for a Morris. Not enough taper and not round enough. Again that Kennebec looks close.
Thanks all.

Thanks Kathy.
I never heard of this Morris built Kennebec thing. Thank you for the video profile. In my case, the deck is too flat to match either canoe.
For now this remains another mystery canoe.
Tim

Is the stem cedar? The Kennebec/Morris in the video has an ash stem, I believe. Hardwood anyway-- Dave Osborne is presently working on that canoe and discovered this. I also recently inspected a Rhinelander that looked so much like a Morris I had to blink a few times, but the splayed-stem was hardwood. Rhinelanders pretty-much stick to Wisconsin, however, and are uncommon-- but Dave Osborne's Rhinelander fishing-boat has a splayed stem. The company made many models of boats with that splayed stem.

Thanks Kathy,
The stem is not cedar, possibly ash or oak. I guess that rules out Morris for sure even while the brass stem plates were bolted on. I got the canoe in Kalamazoo Michigan.
The owner said it had been there sitting in a yard unused over 50 years. it was re-canvased but not fiberglassed.

Back