Morris Canoe Data for Research Project

Looking for the following information on any Morris Canoe including Veazie, Folsom Arms, and Abercrombie and Fitch canoes. Primarily interested in canoes with serial numbers below 6000 (1908 and earlier) but would be happy to receive data on later canoes. Those who have already provided information do not need to resend (unless you have an additional Morris canoe). Please send any or all of the following information to <hcubed1@mac.com> under the subject 'Morris Canoe Data'. Thanks in advance.

Serial number
Nominal length (no need to measure)
Width between inwales at widest point
Width to outer edge of top rails at same location (If no top rail, measure to outer edge of inwales.)
True beam (widest point) at the same location measured plank to plank not rib to rib (Morris claims this is 4 inches below the inwale on later Special Indian Models, but use your own judgement)
Manufacturer tags (Folsom or A&F etc.)
Woods used for gunwales, thwarts, seat frames, decks, if known.
Pictures are welcome but not essential

You really need to talk to Kathy Klos. She is our Morris expert, and has already published a rather nice book on the Morris canoe. There isn't much sense in duplicating exhaustive research...

Kathy Klos

You really need to talk to Kathy Klos. She is our Morris expert, and has already published a rather nice book on the Morris canoe. There isn't much sense in duplicating exhaustive research...

Mark,

The first time I typed Morris canoes into the search field Kathy came up in a million places. Kathy and I have been working together for the last two years and I do have a copy of her book, which is already disintegrating from so much use! I am not duplicating her effort and have a much narrower focus in the research. I always run all my ideas by Kathy. But I appreciate the recommendation.

Mark,

I am not duplicating her effort and have a much narrower focus in the research. I always run all my ideas by Kathy. But I appreciate the recommendation.

Please elaborate...what is the purpose and focus of your "research"? Please do share your ideas with the forum.

Kathy has landed the role of de facto Morris expert but there many of us that share her interests.
Her's and Dennis purpose in information gathering was understood and supported by many Morris owners and canoe enthusiasts.

At present I am lined up with Marks observation. At face value it appears that you may be re-hashing what has already been extensively prodded here over the last years albeit with a sidebar into Veazie, Folsom and Fitch........

Mike

I need to add that I in no way intended my post to be a "smack-down" on your efforts to research. I am of the position that any historical research has merit. I was curious why you seemed to be re-inventing the wheel, as it were. There (at this time) is simply not much more out there than Kathy managed to garner. Her project took YEARS. She has managed to collect information on just about every known Morris, and has the exhaustive database.

If you are doing a paper, you are going to have a helluva hard time coming up with primary sources that have not been documented elsewhere.

Best of luck!

Mark

Howard provided valuable historical information regarding Morris canoes, such as the exact year the large factory was built (1892) and other details, especially in regard to early Morris Company history. He has one of the Morris canoes with a "factory tag" and has been interested in researching these and other early Morrises to see where they fit in the scheme of things. He'll eventually publish this research in Wooden Canoe.

Kathy

I began researching my family canoe during the summer of 2014 (a 16 foot Morris with 'Manufacturer's Tag' and detailed thwarts and seats). As indicated above, my search quickly led me to Kathy, who graciously shared the wealth of information she had gathered over the years regarding all aspects of Morris and his canoes. At that time Kathy was feverishly trying to complete her book for the 2015 Assembly, so I offered to search for primary sources on various topics in the Harvard Libraries, which I did. During this research I came across two independent sources that included numerical specifications for the Morris Special Indian Model canoes. Identical specifications occur in the 1898 and 1899 catalogs of the John P. Lovell Arms company of Boston and another set of specifications were found in the 1896 and 1899 catalogs of the L W Ferdinand & Co also of Boston. Prior to this the earliest source of dimensional specification for the Special Indian model that I am aware of was the 1901 Morris catalog in the WCHA collection. What struck me was that these specifications were not the same; there were variations in widths and 'Displacement in 4 in. Draft' for some lengths between these Special Indian Models, although they were being sold during the same period. The specifications in the 1901 Morris catalog combines select specifications from each of these sources to create yet another unique set of specifications. What was particularly interesting about these 1901 Special Indian Models was they appear to be narrower in some lengths but were 5 pounds heavier in every length than the Lovell catalog Special Indian Model. I decided after the 2015 Assembly that it would be interesting to collect some measurements on surviving early Morris canoes, which at the time I defined as those that never had a serial numbers. With Kathy's help I was able to identify WCHA members with early Morris canoes and started that data collection, all of whom were helpful and responsive. In the meantime I continued to seek out other primary sources that included canoe specifications. As a result of this effort I located at The Mariner's Museum of Newport News, Virginia an 1895 re-issue of the 1893 Morris catalog that includes the insets referred to in a later 1898 letter mentioned in Kathy's book. One of these insets includes specifications for the Special Indian Model (which match those in the Ferdinand Catalog) and an Indian Model No. 81. This Museum also had a 1900 Morris catalog, which has the same specifications and is almost identical in content to the 1901 catalog. I was also able to locate an undated Morris catalog at the Maine Maritime Museum in Bath, Maine which Dan Miller has dated as 1907 because it contains language that is identical to that in a 1907 Fore N' Aft article. It is particularly interesting because, although it has moved from the Indian Model canoes to the Model A,B,C and D, it specifically mentions the Special Indian Model as the predecessor of the Model A and may represent the first catalog after the switch (The Mariner's Museum also has a later corrected copy of this catalog). I shared research copies of these documents with Kathy and Dan. In addition, I located a Special Indian Model entry in an 1898 (August) catalog of the H & D Folsom Arms (witch match those in Lovell) and two undated Iver Johnson Sporting good catalogs, with content suggesting 1900-1903 dates. These catalogs include Morris Canoes with specifications that match the Special Indian Models in the 1900 and 1901 Morris catalogs. Lovell Arms went out of business in 1900 and was taken over by Iver Johnson that same year so this change from Lovell to 1900 Morris catalog dimensions seems to suggest that this is when Morris made the production change. Finally the Special Indian Model occurs in the 1903 Abercrombie and Fitch Catalog in 18-20 foot lengths. In addition there were the already known specifications for other Morris built canoes included in later A&F catalogs under a host of creative names. Specifications, although slightly different (depth), also occur in the 1903 Morris catalog. This is my reference data on specifications.

The limited measurements on the Early canoes have already proved interesting.

There are several early canoes with width measurements that correlate extremely well with the 1898/99 Lovell and Folsom data when measuring width from the outside edge of the top rail, which in the standard Indian Model gunwales lines up with the canvas and outside edge of inwale. All of these canoes are those with the detailed thwart and seats, including some with the 'Manufacturer's Tag' and some without. The weight of my canoe, which is essentially all original materials except canvas, which was determined before this research, also matched perfectly with this data! The 18 foot canoe at the Adirondack Museum with detailed thwarts and seats does not appear to be a Special Indian Model based on dimensions and is somewhat unique in other aspects. As mentioned earlier, when Lovell was taken over in 1900 by Iver Johnson the dimensions for their Morris canoes changed to those in the 1900 Morris catalog. The canoes with the detailed thwarts and seats appear to be the Morris canoes of the later 1890s (1894-1999)[There are 2 independent sources that place 1894 as a start date for the Special Indian Model]

The widths of the early canoes with the standard Morris thwarts correlate extremely well with the dimensions in the 1900, catalog (and Iver Johnson catalogs) when measured between the inwales. All the canoes measured between the inwales, including a 16 footer and several 17 footers measure either 30 or 31 inches. The 1900 catalog specifies 31 inches for a 17 foot and 30 for a 16 foot Special Indian Model. There are two 17-footers that measure 31 between the inwales, however there are also a few that measure 30. I think the the most reasonable interpretation of this is these canoes may be Model 93 a narrower version of the Special Indian with less tumblehome and are specified as 30 inches width for all lengths. The use of a different width dimension also helps explain the 5 pound additional weight mentioned earlier, since the narrower width appears to be a feature of the measurement not the actual dimensions of the canoe. What is clear is that these canoes as a group are measurably wider than comparable lengths of the detailed thwart canoes of the 1890s. Why this dimensional change? I have no idea!

The evidence is that these standard thwart Special Indian Model canoes began in 1900. If this is correct, the start date for serial numbers would have to be shifted a little later since we have several canoes of this type without serial numbers. I think the earliest confirmed date on the serial number scale is in 1903 so adjustments would have to be limited to 1901 and 1902. We know that Morris built a large addition to the factory in 1903, which suggests significant production increases may have been occurring in 1901 and 1902, which may in turn justify moving the interpolated starting date forward a bit to make room for these canoes. The other interpretation would be that Morris was building two different Special indian Models with the same model numbers but different specification during the late 1890s, which seems to me less likely.

There is one early canoe that may actually represent the Ferdinand version of the 1890s, based not only upon dimensions but thwart placement and woods but this is more speculative.

In order to better evaluate the strength of this argument I would like to gather as much data as possible on all Indian Model canoes (all Morris canoes before 1907) and at least some data on later Model A, B, C, D. My very limited data on the later canoes suggest that width measurements went back to the outer edge of the inwale after the transition away from the Indian Models, but I do not trust this limited data. Evidence also suggests that this dimension (outer edge of inwale/toprail) was used by A&F for width measurements.

I would also like to expand this analyses to the wider models (Indian Model Extra Beam, Indian Model Lake Canoe) where the interpretation of specifications is less clear.

A rather long winded answer as to why I am requesting this data. As can be seen this study, which depends critically upon previous studies and information (particularly Kathy's book), is unique in its detailed examination of numerical specifications and their significance in dating and understanding Morris's Indian Model canoes.

Example of "detailed thwart"

Thought I'd provide an example of a Morris thwart on a canoe owned by Michael Grace. This is the type of thwart seen on some early Morris canoes. The thwart in this image is maple.

Attachments

• thwart michael grace morris.jpg
    thwart michael grace morris.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 379
Super! You have certainly added some interesting information to the Morris story.
I am pasting a note that I had posted several years ago about basic assumptions that I made when I assembled the dating table from the scraps of serial number details:

Here are assumptions that I made:
1. Serial number 1 was assigned in 1900 (canoe SN 77 is from 1900)
2. Production grew gradually until the fire and followed the Old Town growth trend from 1900 on.
3. There were no dramatic production surges from one year to the next.
4. There was minimal revenue affect from WW1, an assumption drawn from the performance of Old Town during those years.
5. Old Town data is the benchmark for tracking the growth in canoe revenue from 1900 forward.

I generalized as follows:
• All Serial numbers pre-4,101 were built before 1906
• All Serial numbers between 4,101 and 9,023 were built during the years 1906 through 1912
• Most all serial numbers between 9,023 and 17263 were built between 1912 and 1919.

In subsequent notes/postings several of these assumptions were revised resulting in the table as you find it in Kathy's book. But, what stands out for me at present is the reference to canoe number 77 being assigned to a 1900 build date. That is what drove the table to begin in 1900.

When I return to the US week after next I will review my notes and recheck that date with Kathy. I have always been keen on truing up the table and hopeful that there would be new confirmed serial numbers with dates to drive that. If there is a basis I'll be happy to back track and revise as necessary.

However, as interested as I am in the Morris dates I am more keen on my current task, visiting the Leffe monastery for a tour and a tasting!

I was cleaning up emails and saw that I missed this post. I assume you haver returned home; if not the beer must be very good! Measurements and other factors suggested that start date for the Morris serial numbers may be a little later. I have basing this on Kathy's statements in her book and the 2013 Wooden Canoe article that the earliest serial number associated with independent information on the build or ship date is Morris canoe SN 1878, shipped on June 6, 1903. If Morris canoe SN 77 does have independent information confirming a 1900 build or ship date, then the direction I am heading is definitely wrong. I would be very interested to know if SN 77 has additional information confidently placing it in the year 1901. Be that as it may, there will need to be a lot of review and vetting by Kathy, you and others before a any suggestion bout changing the present start date would occur.

The compromise may be to taste fine Belgian beers while discussing the challenges associated with dating early Morris canoe!.

Belgium is a visit that I highly recommend but not if you think that a great beer is made with rice.

I do not have any new information that suggests that 77 was not built in the first year as reflected by the current table. I remain comfortable with the assumptions that were made to structure the Morris date estimates and the basic logic that assigned the present date ranges.

Barring additional data to help further refine the table......I think it accomplishes it's purpose...to provide a guideline for Morris dating..

Cheers

Back