Morris Maybe??

smallboatshop

Restorers
This canoe had splayed stems with rivets, Morris like decks, thwarts and seats; but the inwales were not notched. You could feel the space between the ribs with your fingers indicating that the rail was rabbited rather than pocketed. What does that mean??

Attachments

• Rivets.jpg
    Rivets.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 240
  • Deck.jpg
    Deck.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 243
  • Bow to stern.jpg
    Bow to stern.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 258
Dan,
Was there a small matal tag on the front splayed stem, or holes where it might have been? Also they put some tags on the inwale toward the front. When Kathy sees this post she will probably be able to help.

Macky

Hi Macky,
There was no tag, nor holes; but there was a lot of paint. I know that Morris used softwood for stems and that that necessitated rivets rather that screws to secure the stembands. We've done Morris's before but not with rails that were not notched so that opens the discussion of Morris and Old Town or Morris and Kennebec. Kathy probably knows!
Dan

Hi all,

Just putting this question out again. Have others seen Morris' with rabbited rails rather than pocketed rails. Any help here?
Dan

I will venture a guess that the inwales were given a big rabbet by the guy who replaced them 50 years ago?

Hi Dan,

Sorry for a confusion. The Kennebec was also in this barn along with an unnamed Charles River canoe, the Toppan Canoe, a Toppan skiff, an OT double ender, a 14' OT Sq Stern and a 16' (or maybe 18') OT Sq Stern. It was an interesting time climbing in around them all. Hope to find more barns with boats!

No, I am saying I had a Kennebec, with Morris-style stems and decks, with a rabbeted inwale. Here are pics (sorry for the mud wasp debris). While the tag isn't on the deck in the photo, it was present.

No one knows (yet) whether the "Kennebec Morrises" were built by Morris and sold by Kennebec, or whether Kennebec was building them their own selves, perhaps on a mold they acquired from Morris. I am inclined to believe the latter. Regardless, they they turn up regularly.

Dan

Attachments

• 1913kineo_1.jpg
    1913kineo_1.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 237
  • 1913kineo_2.jpg
    1913kineo_2.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 250
  • 1913kineo_3.jpg
    1913kineo_3.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 248
Back