Nokomia build

I have Nokomis glassed on the outside, the Peel Ply was a challenge! That I probably won't take on again , at least on a tumblehomed hull.
Here's a pic of the hull with one fill coat. I followed, by rolling on two more, all an hour apart. When the previous coat is still tacky it nearly eliminates runs. I hate scraping and sanding runs ! IMG_1164_zpsrosuhszl.jpg

Jim

The Peel Ply I'm using, is a tightly woven polyester cloth that is treated to help it release from cured epoxy. It's mainly used over wetted cloth to leave a smooth surface, when the resin is cured. This is supposed to reduce the amount of fill coats needed.

Jim

Interesting! I had never heard of Peel Ply before; but I did note the same effect when I was epoxying the scarf joint on my gunwhales. I used a thick piece of plastic "drop cloth" from the box store to protect the angle iron I used to align the scarf joint. Some epoxy squeezed out and after it dried, the plastic "drop cloth" peeled away cleanly and left a very smooth and even surface on the cured epoxy squeeze out around the joint. Same principle at work, I suppose.

I did a little more research on Peel Ply and it seems it is only recommended for use on simple, flat surfaces because it doesn't necessarily conform well to complex shapes and can leave "folds" in the epoxy as it sets up.

Interesting! I had never heard of Peel Ply before; but I did note the same effect when I was epoxying the scarf joint on my gunwhales. I used a thick piece of plastic "drop cloth" from the box store to protect the angle iron I used to align the scarf joint. Some epoxy squeezed out and after it dried, the plastic "drop cloth" peeled away cleanly and left a very smooth and even surface on the cured epoxy squeeze out around the joint. Same principle at work, I suppose.

I did a little more research on Peel Ply and it seems it is only recommended for use on simple, flat surfaces because it doesn't necessarily conform well to complex shapes and can leave "folds" in the epoxy as it sets up.

I was counting on the Peel Ply, to absorb a little resin. I weighed the Peel Ply at 1lb. 2 oz, before laying it out on the wet glass. The next day when I pulled it off, it weighed 1lb 4oz. 2oz is not much difference.

Your research is correct. I was not able to eliminate the wrinkles. Which required more fill coats to fix.IMG_1155_zpsxc9npb5k.jpg
I'm pretty shy of Peel Ply, at least for a hull.

Jim

Rolled Nokomis out to finish a rough sand.
Here's a few pics.

IMG_0883_zps5rf9vqoz.jpg
IMG_0885_zpsvnywppzw.jpg
IMG_0893_zps86on9exs.jpg

I used Peel Ply on this hull, and though I struggled with wrinkles, overall I think it was a benefit. I'll know for sure when I put Nokomis on the scale.

Jim

While Ben was home, We pulled Nokomis off the forms.
IMG_0947_zpsdtc2xfjq.jpg
IMG_0944_zpsibxcossn.jpg

I had just a few glue globs and after a few minutes scraping, I'm ready to sand the interior.
Now for some dry weather to sand outside.

Jim

Thanks Paul !

I HOPE it paddles as good as it looks !
It's a little flatter than the Shallow Arcs I've built in the past.
Getting kind of anxious !

Jim

Lucked out and was able to sand the inside of Nokomis today.
I'm a little short of resin, so will wait awhile to glass.
Here's a few pics.

IMG_0966_zpskv6xviwd.jpg
IMG_0962_zpsdyav9r7f.jpg
IMG_0961_zpsplsy25hz.jpg

Jim

It's been awhile, due to moving.
Have the gunnels and decks glued and screwed on. now for some time with a rat tail file, and hand sanding.
I have the seat made, and I'll glue up the thwart tomorrow, hopefully. Still a ZOO around here.
Want Nokomis ready for the BWCA yet this Fall !

A few pics.
IMG_1189_zps7wrmwicp_1_1.jpgIMG_1195_zpsnijl30ai.jpgIMG_1196_zpsngrdblys.jpg

Jim

Have the seat and thwart installed. now to take them out, sand and varnish.
IMG_1212_zpsphqa1o5g.jpgIMG_1208_zpsm2zcp6gd.jpgIMG_1207_zps6nt4xwxt.jpg

Gunnels are 26 1/4" wide.
I need to weigh everything.

Jim

Finally finished Nokomis !

Here the latest pics.IMG_1227_zpsytdwlgtz.jpgIMG_1261_zpsn4kmjn6g.jpg
IMG_1264_zpskixjfdfr.jpgIMG_1275_zpsp8cxoirn.jpg

I'm going to wait for the Watco to dry before it's Maiden Voyage. If I can !!

Back