Nokomia build

Jim Dodd

LOVES Wooden Canoes
After hashing over, what to build, I settled on a canoe I designed, and cut the forms for in March of 2000. I've not built this one before.
I named it after a lake here, in town, Nokomis.

Here's a few pics. IMG_0568_zpsmwdikbez.jpgIMG_0576_zpslvumybw5.jpgIMG_0580_zpstbyvrf1p.jpg
It will be 16'4" long and a solo. Plenty of tumblehome, flat bottomed, with a little flare.

Jim

Last edited:
Sorry for my typing error ! The correct name is NOKOMIS.
Where I'm at today with NOKOMIS, and a tumblehome shot.
IMG_0607_zpsjpfl56ie.jpgIMG_0615_zpsn8fgsm44.jpgIMG_0610_zps87mszztc.jpg

Jim

Last edited:
Here's where I'm at tonight.
I tilt my strongback to make it easier to glue and strip the football.IMG_0620_zpsvadih0et.jpg

Jim

Looks like it will be a beautiful canoe-- thanks for sharing pictures.

There's a Lake Nokomis in the town where I grew up-- Minneapolis. I am told the word means "grandmother" in Ojibwe, but most people know it from Longfellow's poem, "Song of Hiawatha", were Nokomis is the grandmother who raised him. A good name for a canoe.

"By the shores of Gitche Gumee [Lake Superior],
By the shining Big-Sea-Water,
Stood the wigwam of Nokomis,
Daughter of the Moon, Nokomis.
Dark behind it rose the forest..."

Kathy

Thanks Kathy

I've paddled Lake Nokomis in Minneapolis. During several of Mid West Mountaineerings events.
I'm hoping Nokomis will approve of my canoe !

I'll try and post a few pics along the way.

Jim

Centerline is cut. I like to stop a few strips short of center, it makes it easier to fit the last strips, and I can add a feature strip to the bottom the same time.
Here's a pic of where I'm at today.IMG_0641_zpsacdeovgp.jpg

Jim

I have Nokomis stripped up. except the very center.
I plan to fill it in tomorrow with a moon design, thanks to Kathy (Squirrel whisperer) ! Here's a pic of todays work.
IMG_0661_zpspg1htqij.jpg

Jim

Jim

Glued and cut out a panel, and moon. Every thing needs to be fitted.
Here's a pick of what it will look like IMG_0668_zpsfsbq79dv.jpg

Thanks again Kathy

Jim

Have the staples pulled, and one side sanded.
Can't believe our great weather, as I can do my sanding outside. Hope to finish sanding tomorrow.
Here's a few pics.IMG_0679_zps7apyp0aw.jpgIMG_0672_zpsq8ipwwng.jpg

Jim

Can't believe this great weather !

Got outside, and finished rough sanding Nokomis today.IMG_0687_zpsb6qszio2.jpg

Jim

You are on the way !

What design are you building ?
Just a little extra glue on the one joint.
It looks like you decided to go with bead and cove. Good move !

Keep us posted !

Jim

Hey Jim -

Didn't mean to hijack your posting, but just a quick reply here...
I'm building Bear Mountain's Freedom 17, and it's my first canoe build. Finding the sweet spot on the glue is a bit of a task, but I'm overall so thrilled with the project that I can barely contain myself. Really enjoying the process. Perhaps I'll start a post of my own. Thanks Jim!!

I heard good things about the Freedom !

After my post, I looked closer at your pic, and caught the letters "dom", on your forms. I thought it's got to be the Freedom.

Mastering the stems, you have already proven yourself ! Looking forward to more !

Jim

Ready to wet out the cloth on Nokomis. The Peel Ply I ordered arrived today. And I have the extra layer on the football trimmed. Here's a few pics.IMG_0698_zpso6umtaa9.jpg
Plus tools I use to wet out clothIMG_0705_zps6zpjferu.jpg And a tool to mark, where the extra layer will be trimmed. I put small dots, every foot or so, and trim the cloth, dot to dot.IMG_0701_zpsjuqmbfq9.jpg

Jim

Back