Newbi here, Max Anderson question, thx

coldfeet

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hi all, I think I mispelled the builder's name. My friend is giving me his 1960's Max Andersven (sp?) canoe that has been sitting in his garage for app 25-30 years. I haven't taken it down off the rafters of his garage yet so I'm not to sure of the condition. He also told me that it came with a sail and a rudder, sounds like a nice new toy for me. I don't have any experience restoring anything but i'm willing to be patient and try. Can anyone here offer any info on the builder and boat and any web sites would be appreciated. I'm supposed to pick it up mid October, thx.

Welcome to the WCHA and the forums.

In addition to asking questions here, there are three good sources of information about canoe restoration which you would do well to get, or at least look at as you decide what repairs or restoration steps might be desirable -- "The Wood and Canvas Canoe: A Complete Guide to its History, Construction, Restoration, and Maintenance" by Rollin Thurlow and Jerry Stelmok, and/or "Building the Maine Guide Canoe" by Jerry Stelmok, and "The Old Town Canoe Company" by Susan Audette and David Baker.

The first is often called the "bible" of canoe repair, restoration, and maintenance; the second is an excellent study of the wooden/canvas canoe and its construction, and the third is a great history of the company and its canoes. These are available from the WCHA store, are often on eBay, or from Amazon.

"The Wood and Canvas Canoe" is out of print and can be hard to get. It has been reported that Jerry Stelmok at Island Falls Canoe Company has copies available -- check the WCHA builders directory for contact information. Your library may have it, and if they don't they should be able to get it through inter-library loan service.

We all love pictures -- please post pictures when you get the canoe, and of course, pictures of problems can help enormously when you seek advice here -- which you should not be reluctant to do. There are lots of very knowledgeable people here who are read, willing, and able to share what they have learned.

You are getting a pretty cool canoe!

While the above books are indeed invaluable references, they won't be of much good with your canoe. A Max Anderssons canoe is essentially what we would call "cold molded" now. They are beautiful canoes though. I can't recall of anyone off the top of my head who has to do any serious work on one, so information might be a little scarce if your new boat is in need of a lot of work.

Post pics when you get it!

Mark makes a good point.

I have attached a few pictures of my Max and the veneer is in very good condition. Sorry I don't have pictures of the canoe after revarnishing.

When not well cared for and the vanish is allowed to breakdown, the veneer will begin to separate and discolor.

What you need to review is a furniture refinishing book on how to restore veneers.

They are great looking canoes, light weight and the paddle nice.

Where are you Coldfeet? These canoes usually didn't get to far from Chicago where Ralph sold them.

Good luck,

Paul

Attachments

• IM002128.jpg
    IM002128.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 538
  • IM002144.jpg
    IM002144.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 527
  • IM002143.jpg
    IM002143.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 536
Thx for feedback guys. Lot's to learn especially what "cold molded" means. Background on the boat, my college professor from Queens NY was teaching at Paul Smiths college in the early 70's or late 60's. While he was up in the Daks he somehow saw one of these boats. I believe that he had ordered it unassembled and he put it together. I'm wondering if being in the rafters of his very hot garage for the past 25 years would make it dry rotted or something like toast? Wonder if the wood is so dry it's not worth the investment. I'll still pick it up because a friend of mine told me that he would be interested in restoring something. Thx for all the info, i'm going to hold on to ordering any books until i actually get the boat. Now I have to get a poly 17ft kayak out of the garage and build something that can hold this boat, hmmm looks like I'll be searching the site here for ideas, thx. Will get pics of it in a few weeks.

Hi Coldfeet,

You might want to read the article in Wooden Canoe. There is no way he bought the parts and put it together.

The method was mastered in Sweden and no one has done it better.

It's possible that less than 10 were imported to the U.S.

Post some pictures when you get some.

Thanks,

Paul

Will do and i'll try to get more details when I see him next month. Can you do me a favor and tell me what section should i look under for advise? I tried googling info and came up short. Seems there might one boat in a museum in CT. thx

Hello all, I'm going to pick up the boat today later on this afternoon. Looks like the boat might get it's first taste of water on it in 25 plus years. Weather today here is called for rain in the morning with a chance of a possible thunderstorm. my friend and I have a lot of work to first help clear out the area before we can get the boat off the rafters. Then it's picture time and a mini celebration with my good buddy "The Professor" and a few bottles of Arrogant ******* Ale, hmmmmm. Will keep you updated.

ps, my friend said that the boat was already built when he purchased it in early 70's. I'll try to get as much info as I can before having the beer!

Got it, not looking so good. But some might say it's worth the restoration and others will say to run away. Last paddled was around 1976 and it was garaged since then. Looks like squirrels got to it also. A few people will look at it and give me their opinions. If I had the $ I would send it somewhere to get fixed but that's not happening for a very long time. Let me figure out how to send the pics.

Attachments

• PA190422.jpg
    PA190422.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 493
The link doesn't work, but the pic doesn't look so bad! Obviously, the varnish is toast. The gunwale is also shot, but that can either be spliced, or a new one fabricated and installed. Hopefully you can post a link to the Picassa site that will show more pics.

I just clicked on the link and it worked for me. I don't know how to compress the picture. Did the link work for anyone else?

Looks like I didn't click on the button to share and now I forgot my username and other passwords...have to create a new account, sorry for the technical difficulty, remember that with the old tv programs? Will get back soon...it's possible that this boat doesn't want anyone to see how it looks in 2012!

It's a bit difficult to see the pictures. Looks like they want you to login to see them clearly.

I think it's best use would be as a display of the building method. I doubt even Max himself would even attempt to fix it.

It would look cool next to an original one.

Thanks,

Paul

Back