Need History of My Canoe

NewtoCanoe

I purchased a canoe in need of much TLC to get it ready for work and show. The canvas was already removed; it had a few broken ribs and needed to have some tacks to prep for exterior repair. Other than the ribs; I love the worn look on the inside.

To the point; I want to learn more about my canoe. It has a Chestnut Canoe sticker and in the bottom of the canoe has 5 numbers 12710.

Can anyone help me to fill in the history. It was advertised as a 1960 model.

14 ft 8 inches

There are no Chestnut serial number records available so no one here can provide any details. You may be able to get an approximate date if someone has a similar canoe with good original documentation. Sorry,

Benson

Records for Chestnut and other Canadian builders are not available so pinning down boat history is a bit hit and miss for these. There are a number of folks that participate here that can help with identification if you post pictures and provide relevant details including length, with, depth etc.
What I have found to be pretty useful is this site:
http://www.picturetrail.com/jockogilvy
You should be able to take the dimensions from your boat and use the catalogs to identify it.
I'm not sure who maintains it but it is clearly a labor of love and very useful.....in passing, kudos to the the site owner.

Back