History of OT 57395

Morley Pinsent

canoeist & canoe nut
Hi,

A couple of years ago I found and rebuilt the above canoe (16', CS Charles River) and as part of the project have been trying to find out about where it has been and when. I have traced it back through the previous five owners and its fairly long history with the Banook Canoe Club in Dartmouth Nova Scotia. I know where it has been back to 1930, but the space between it being shipped from Old Town to Morton & Thompson Hardware Store in Halifax, NS in April of 1920 (OT build record) remains a mystery that I would love to fill in.

Morton & Thompson went out of business a few years after 1920 and none of the business records have remained that I know of. The "back trail" has run dry also. The Banook Canoe Club records of that era no longer exist.

Is it possible to sort OT records around the 1920 period to find out if there was more than one canoe shipped to Morton & Thompson in the same general time frame? I have a feeling that might be of value.

Any other ideas to find out about the past of this lovely and newly renovated beauty? Hey, its February and one has to find sanity where ever ya' can!

Cheers,

Morley Pinsent

Is it possible to sort OT records around the 1920 period to find out if there was more than one canoe shipped to Morton & Thompson in the same general time frame? I have a feeling that might be of value.

Hi Morley,

The Old Town build records are graphic images, and as such are not searchable. The CDs (available from the WCHA store) are organized by serial number, so it would be possible to easily locate the time period you are interested in and look at each record individually to find the ones you are interested in. If you have a reasonably fast computer, this wouldn't take too long.

Cheers,
Dan

Back