National Canoe Day In Peterborough....How Was It????

WoodNCanvas

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Couldn't make the National Canoe Day in Peterborough yesterday....but know several WCHA members of Northern Lakes chapter there....how was the day???? Any photos???? Any special canoes show up????

Perhaps Dick Persson was there. I know several who bailed for various reasons.
Unfortunately, I missed it this year. I was seconded to help friends of the Aka:We Canoe Club co-host the first annual 1000 Canoes / A Day of a Thousand Canoes (http://1000canoes.com/ ) on the Grand River (A Canadian Heritage River).

For a first time event, there were some logistical kinks to iron out, but the 18 km paddle down river was very enjoyable -even though I didn't get a coffee at the Tim Horton's "Paddle-Through". There should be lots of photos available sometime as there were zillions of photographer's present, including a frequent fly-over by a float plane.

Thanks Rob....I had to bail myself (injured shoulder)....I'm sure Dick was there....I hear Day of 1000 canoes was success....something like 280 canoes????

I quickly looked at the requirements to participate. It says you have to have a Canadian approved pfd. What is that? Will U.S.C.G. work? Thanks, Macky

Macky, I believe the USCG rating would have been fine....I'm assuming you're asking about requirements for the Day of 1000 Canoes....Canadian approved means approved by our Ministry of Transport....same as you have Coast Guard approved PFDs

Any water left in the Grand this year? the couple times i did it when i lived in Brantford it got low and I was glad i was in an aluminum canoe!

Back