Canada Day In A Canoe

WoodNCanvas

LOVES Wooden Canoes
I know a man whose school could never teach him patriotism, but who acquired that virtue when he felt in his bones the vastness of his land, and the greatness of those who founded it. - Pierre Elliott Trudeau (FromExhaustion and Fulfillment: The Ascetic in a Canoe, 1944; also cited in Pierre Elliott Trudeau: Why He Paddled by Jamie Benidickson, pp. 54-59, from Kanawa, Fall 2001.)

A true Canadian is one who can make love in a canoe without tipping.- Pierre Berton

Anyone can make love in a canoe, it’s a Canadian who knows enough to take out the centre thwart! - Philip Chester

When you look at the face of Canada and study the geography carefully, you come away with the feeling that God could have designed the canoe first and then set about to conceive a land in which it could flourish. - Bill Mason, Path of the Paddle

I feel the canoe is actually a metaphor for the Canadian character. It’s not loud, pushy or brassy. It’s quiet, adaptable and efficient, and it gets the job done. – Janice Griffith, former General Manager of the Canadian Canoe Museum

They say that one day God was fooling around, the way He does, and son of a gun if He didn’t make a canoe. Well, He’d made a lot of stuff, but that canoe really blew Him away. “Helluva boat,” He said. “But where am I going to paddle it?” All of a sudden, it came to Him. “I know,” He said. “I’ll make Canada.” – from Burying Ariel, by Gail Bowen

Canoeing more or less defines who I am. Patched boats in the backyard affirm soul truths. My home, Canada, is not an abstraction; it is kindred canoe spirits and a constellation of sun-alive, star-washed campsites, linked by rivers, lakes, and ornery portages; scapes of the heart, rekindled by sensations that linger long after the pain is gone. When I meet someone, I wonder what they would be like on a trip. - James Raffan

We are Canadians who took the time and hard work to feel the history in the stroke of our paddles and blisters in our boots. - Michael Peake

In Canada, whether or not we have much to do with canoes proper, the canoe is simply inside us. — Roger MacGregor

The Canadian Shield was never a block to travel; in fact, it was the reverse, for the Shield helped to spin the web of interconnecting rivers and lakes that covers half of Canada, an unrivalled system of ‘highways’ extending over a quarter of a million square miles of forest-lakeland and comprising a good part of the whole world’s fresh water. - Eric W. Morse

What the camel is to desert tribes, what the horse is to the Arab, what the ship is to the colonizing Briton, what all modern means of locomotion are to the civilized world today, that, and more than that, the canoe was to the Indian who lived beside the innumerable waterways of Canada. — William Wood

The romantic life of each colony also has a special flavour – Australian rhyme is a poetry of the horse; Canadian, of the canoe — William Douw Lighthall

Firewood, smoke and oranges, path of old canoe;
I would course the inland ocean to be back to you;
No matter where I go to, it’s always home again;
To the rugged northern shore, and the days of sun and wind;
And the land of the silver birch, cry of the loon;
There’s something ’bout this country, that’s a part of me and you. – from ‘Woodsmoke and Oranges’ by Ian Tamblyn.

Canada Day In A Canoe

Floating along on the still water of a small lake

Being in a canoe on Canada Day is no mistake.

Hardly disturbing the water’s surface, canoe hiked over to one side

Paddling in the Canadian Style, the solo canoeist takes such pride

The canoe is silent, quietly moving and being free

The solo canoeist dips his blade in a rhythmic motion

Maybe just thinking of how wonderful it is just to be

Not really thinking of anything, no ideas or silly notion

Maybe how this is such a great country to have been born to

So many great places to dip a paddle, to take a canoe

Great paddlers….Mason, Trudeau, Stringer and Wipper, to name a few

So many rivers and lakes to canoe trip through

The canoe was one of Canada’s Seven Wonders in a national poll

This is a country with so much history tied to the canoe

So many places to go, whether by paddle, portage or pole

Whether solo or in tandem, something any of us can do

To me, Canada is canoe country….water, rock and tree

I’m a Canadian paddler proud to be

In a land that beckons us to just see

More of Canada, True North strong and free - Mike Ormsby

Lots has been said about the canoe as a Canadian icon. Today is July 1st….Canada Day….what better way to celebrate our country than in a canoe. Get out for a paddle. Enjoy the day. Celebrate the canoe. As well as Canada’s 144th birthday. Canada Day….spend it in a canoe….the perfect Canadian thing to do….never forget we have Canadian Canoe events (the “C” is for Canadian not Canoe) in Olympic paddling….and there is a type of paddling known as Canadian Style Paddling….Kevin Callan has his Canadian Maple Leaf canoe….and the CBC listed the canoe as one of the Seven Wonders of Canada. Not to mention great Canadian art from the view of the canoe….by the likes of Tom Thomson and members of the Group of Seven. Or great writers like Archie Belaney (Grey Owl), Hap Wilson, Kevin Callan, James Raffan, and the McGuffins. And last but not least, the Canadian Canoe Museum….the world’s largest collection of canoes. Without canoes, Canada wouldn’t be the country it is today. So I think it is certainly the Canadian thing to do to spend today in a canoe.

Paddles up until later then….especially on Canada Day.

I spent a few hours paddling the Big Creek National Wildlife Area http://www.on.ec.gc.ca/wildlife/nwa/eng/bigcreek/default.htm after dropping daughter and friends at the beach in nearby Long Point (north shore of Lake Erie) where they baked with about 10,000 other people enjoying the long weekend.

Big Creek is a place I have meant to paddle since I was in the Coast Guard Search and Rescue at Long Point 30 years ago. Although I have witnessed turtles laying eggs in June, I didn't see a one today. Saw lots of huge carp in the shallow areas, and many different birds, not all of which I could identify, even with a guidebook. A great blue heron took flight about 2 ft from the front of my canoe. I hadn't even seen it until it quickened my heartbeat.

Didn’t see another person or canoe either though I could hear speed boats on Long Point Bay.

Rob, great place to go for a paddle....went there with my Dad a few years ago (he was in kayak)....lots of wildlife....and away from busy throngs of tourists on beaches.....Denis thanks for birthday wishes

Back