DSC_0086.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 282
  • DSC_0079.jpg
    DSC_0079.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 294
  • DSC_0081.jpg
    DSC_0081.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 275
Your canoe looks a lot like my old Kildonan freighter. The overall hull dimensions, shape and sheer is very close. The shape of the transom and how the adjacent hull fairs into it is exactly the same as is the shape and undercut of the deck and it's hardware. There is nothing in the original canoe parts in your pics that is definitely not a Kildonan feature.

There seems to be very little historical information on Kildonan canoes. I was fortunate to meet the original owner of my Kildonan on a northern Saskatchewan lake and learned from him what make it was (no builder plates or serial numbers) and how he had it painted a unique green inside and out at the factory where he picked it up new. Unfortunately that canoe is gone and I can't help verify with detail pics.

Dave,
Thanks for the reply and info.Looking forward to restoring it.Wasn't sure of maker as This is my first y stern.If anyone has any more info please let me know.This one was doomed to bookcases if I didn't buy it.

I have a Kildonan Y-stern sitting in my shop at the moment. 18 foot, 46 wide, 18 inches deep. It is very similiar to a Chestnut and the mast thwart is more Chestnut than Kildonan. However, the planking is red cedar, making it a Winnipeg made freighter.

Mine has tapered ribs, which seem to a be a bit of an anomaly, steel tacks, making it a WW2 era boat. It still had the original canvas on it. We found writing on the transom under the plywood cover plate and a large smear of paint and some writing on the planking on one side although I cannot decipher it. You might find the same on yours.

Ribs on this one are 2 3/8" wide, full 3/8 thick. Planking is just under 1/4". Inwales measure 7/8" square. 10 ribs under the stern stem, 8 under the bow stem. Yours appears to have thin cant ribs right at the bow, which Chestnut had on some of their regular canoes and mine doesn't have those.

Attachments

• Size written on transom.jpg
    Size written on transom.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 220
  • Tapered Ribs.jpg
    Tapered Ribs.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 218
  • Beached whale.jpg
    Beached whale.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 233
  • Stern Stem.jpg
    Stern Stem.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 220
  • Bow.jpg
    Bow.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 230
  • Mast Thwart.jpg
    Mast Thwart.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
KAT,
Thanks for the reply. Mine has brass tacks and it does have wider and thinner cant ribs up front. Now comes the joy of paint AND fiberglass removal.Looks like yours is in good shape.

KAT I am willing to bet the 8 46 on your stern means the 8th canoe built in 1946 . Allot of the builders of Grand Lakers over here would use this method under the deck plate so you could read it with a mirror. They would keep a book with info as to who they where sold to. And 1946 and steel tack sort of go together.

Oh the joys of fibreglas... Hopefully for you the basic glass shell will just drop off and you only need to deal with some resin left on the planking. I have a Tremblay I am working on that was glassed and I will need to replace most of the planking due to water damage. I also did a Canadian that was glassed, it was only taken on since the previous owner was going to send it to the landfill if someone didn't take it. You can see how that turned out here... http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?9746-Canadian-Canoe-15490-44

I have a Morris coming in August that was glassed too, not really looking forward to more glass removal, but I have discovered something interesting with the Tremblay. Whomever had glassed in the first place had removed the keel and it was likely leaking since they slathered resin on ALL the ribs above the keel screw holes and on the planking where it was cracked. When I was stripping the varnish I found the stripper will break down the resin. Let it sit, carefully scrap with a chisel, it peels right off. It took several coats but it eventually came off the wood completely. I will try that on the exterior where need be before resorting to the heat gun and time.

Dale, the local expert on Kildonan's would agree with you to a degree, the "18" would be the length and the "46" year of build, although the 46 matches the width. Local expert is Douglas Ingram.

Karin

Wow, that turned out great!! Love that color. I fooled with it a little yesterday and the glass is coming off pretty easily for the most part. Thanks for the tip on the stripper. Will try it on the resin. I have a 1915 OT CR to finish. Then a 20' Morris before this one. Looking forward to the Morris.
Dale,this is the one that you helped me with a week or so ago.
Greg

Back