Making Thwarts

Pierre Girard

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I've never really "restored" a canoe, so much as repaired old clunkers to the point where they can be paddled again. Many of the canoes I've repaired needed new rails, thwarts, etc.

Many years ago I was repairing an old canoe that had the thwarts inleted into the inwale with a mortise and tenon joint - followed by two long screws in each side - so the thwart and the inwale are flush where they meet. I've always liked the look of this method. Can anyone tell me what brand (if any) of canoe used this method?

While I don't know which commercial builders used this technique, it is the traditional manner of thwart attachment that Birchbark canoe builders used.

Douglas Ingram said:
While I don't know which commercial builders used this technique, it is the traditional manner of thwart attachment that Birchbark canoe builders used.

Though of course using watape rather than screws.

Do you feel this a weaker method of fastening thwarts? Or just not as applicable for manufacture?

The mortised in thwarts were a carry over from thre birch bark canoes so they were used on the very early wood and canvas canoes. You find them on mostly on canoe bult pre 1890's. Ther was a short time period where they were using a lap joint but by 1900 almost everyone was just bolting the thwart under the rail. They are found most often on the early Gerrish and White canoes.
The mortised joint requires a bit more woodworking skill and looks a bit more "refined" but in most cases it does make for a weaker rail system.

Back