Location of tacks when attaching canvas

ewitzel

Curious about Wooden Canoes
After stretching canvas and where do tacks go? Clinched through the plank and rib? About an inch below the inwale?

AND of course, I made this harder since I’ve already attached the canvas after failing to cut the planking a ½ below the inwale. Any thoughts on how to proceed would be welcome.

A lot of us use stainless steel staples. Of course the old timers used tiny tacks, but in the same location. Two go into the planking at the location of each rib, just < 1/4" below the top of the planking.
Assuming that you are working on an open gunwale canoe, the rib tips and inwale top should be the same, with the planking maybe 1/2 inch lower. The "L"- shaped top of the outwale will cover your tacks and the top edge of the canvas, with the inboard edge resting against the rib tips. Not sure I entirely understand your dilemma, but if you are indicating that planking and canvas are EVEN with rib tip & inwale height, then you've got some cutting to do. I would add the needed staples or tacks to the proper locations, then clamp a flexible strip of steel, or wood at the proper height for the planking top to be, and then run a very sharp razor knife along the strip until I'd cut through. It is probable there are other methods that work. TM...

Thank you. This makes a lot of sense. Yes the inwale and the rib tips are the same height BUT the planking is as well. Arg. I will most definitely use a flexible strip clamped to the proper height after using stainless steel staples. Great idea! Is there a preferred brand/size of staple?

I use Arrow #508SS1, 1/2", but others will work. Just be sure you buy what fits into your staple gun. It is common to go along with a hammer and tap them. And if you're using them on a rock-hard oak stem, it can be a challenge to get them in. TM..

Back