Is this a Peterborough ?

Etienne-Henri

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hello,

I haven’t come here for quite a long time, due to illness and job commitments, but I recently bought another canoe which I can’t clearly identify : could someone here help me ?

This red canvas canoe is supposed to be a Peterborough. The gentleman I bought this canoe from inherited it from his grandfather, whose travel notes clearly indicate he bought a Peterborough canoe in november 1935, among other french canoes he owned between 1930 and the early 1950’s. Peterborough canoes were imported in France by Charles André at that time (please see this company's 1932 add hereafter). I know a similar Peterborough (model 89X) with continuous history in France (the green canoe in the pictures below).

However, although my canoe looks like a Peterborough Pleasure without seats (!), its serial number doesn’t appear to correspond to a Peterborough : 2041 42

Could it be a Peterborough labelled Canadian Canoe Company Pleasure model #42 ?

A few things lead me to think this canoe belongs to a Canadian company :

First of all its dimensions are imperial, not metric :
Its length is 15’ exactly
Its width is 33'' 2/3
Its depth is 13’’ as far as I can measure it
It has a flat keel : 1’’ 2/3 wide by 2/3’’ thick
The ribs are 2’’ 1/3 at widest decreasing to 1’’ 2/3 at gunwales. They are chamfered down to 2’’ at widest and about 1’’ 1/2 at gunwales. Those dimensions a slightly inconsistant from one rib to another. Ribs are spaced 3’’ 1/2, which leaves about 1’ 1/3 in-between ribs, these two last measures being slightly inconsistant as well.

Secondly the wood species are very uncommon to me (I never owned an american boat before). Ribs might be white cedar while inside gunwales, decks and thwarts might be spruce, but I am not too sure. Planking however is definitely red cedar, and outside gunwales and paddling thwarts are made of ash.

Thirdly, this canoe is much lighter than my other wooden canoes, all of them being french built. It is also much lighter than my trusty OT 158 Discovery.

The decks are shaped like the green Peterborough #89X I already mentioned. Some Peterborough Pleasure we can see in old catalogs present similar decks, but this might be misleading as some french builders also made decks like these. An almond-like decal was applied to the decks, as testified by a 2’’ x 1’’ 1/3 (more or less) shadow in the varnish.

The outside gunwales are shaped like most French canoes, unlike other Peterborough canoes as far as I can say. I suspect this canoe was recanvassed at some point, as some planks are damaged while the (lightweight) canvas is in an overall good condition. Could the gunwales have been changed ? The extra keels are an obvious French addition, and made of ash as well.

The paddling thwarts were very much preferred to seats by most French paddlers. French wooden canoes were mostly produced with such thwarts as late as 1960. No evidence of seats on this canoe.

It came with three nice paddles. If this can help, the identical pair of these presents the remains of a logo made of three horizontal bands : one red band in-between two blue bands, the whole being exactly 1’’ 2/3 wide. There is some evidence of some bright yellow remaining on the red band of each paddle. This is unrecognizable to me.

The lines of this canoe are very nice, and I can’t wait going for a paddle with it, but it needs a few preventive TLC as you can see. Still, very happy with it !

Hope you could help me,
Warmest regards to all,
Etienne-Henri

Peterborough_2201_00_profile.jpg
Peterborough_2201_01_haut.jpg
Peterborough_2201_02_plongee.jpg
Peterborough_2201_03_flottaison.jpg
Peterborough_2201_04_stern.jpg
Peterborough_2201_05_stern.jpg
Peterborough_2201_06_gunwales.jpg
Peterborough_2201_07_deck.jpg
Peterborough_2201_08_thwart.jpg
Peterborough_2201_09_bow.jpg

That's a nice canoe. I can't answer any of your questions since I'm just a paddler and not an historian; but thank you for showing everybody. The tall outer gunwales are interesting to me. I'd never seen that before. And the thwarts: interesting that French paddlers preferred them to seats. I never knew that, but it makes sense. I only use a seat when I have someone to sit in the other one. Those paddles have a nice shape and should go into the water without spe-lunking every stroke, like seems to be popular with today's commercial paddles--at least the ones we get in this country.

Thanks again.

Thank you Bug,

Hereafter another of my canoes with paddling thwarts : this one is French. The builder was Mosca, late 1940's.
We do not have many large lakes to paddle here in France and no proper water routes. Instead we have nice rivers, mostly rolling rivers before the majority of them were chanelled with dams in the 1950's and 1960's.
So yes it made sense to use paddling thwarts, especially when you strap your knees while kneeling to have better control of the canoe.
I enclosed hereafter a period photograph of a French canoe and its paddler in class III rapids in the early days after WWII : typically French ! (note the full canvas decking) This picture belong to a nice book on Orleans canoe clubs (Loire valley), but I can not remember which are neither the paddler, the place, nor the photograph, sorry.

I also believe that those paddling thwarts belong to early all wood canoes whiche were imported from Canada (mostly Peterborough and Lakefield) in the early 1900's, and shortly copied by French builders. I think those thwarts just remained because they were practical.

I wonder if Charles André, the then importer of Peterborough canoes, may have ordered canoes without seats ... in order to set them up with paddling thwarts ?

Warmest regards to all

E-H

3502mo10.jpg

MOSCAcanoto10.jpg

Almost 100 hundred years old, and still going strong ! (I am talking about my canvas canoe of course, not about the château de Chenonceau !)

Back