Peterborough Outwales

Max Peterson

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Could anyone out there give me a drawing and dimensions of the original outwale profile of a Peterborough "Champlain" from the 1950s? The ones I just took off are almost 1/2 round in profile, 3/4" thick (.75" horizontal measurement) including the top lip and 1 1/8" tall (1.125" vertical). Is this original or a replacement. I do think the canoe was re-canvased sometime in the past and I need to make new outwales.

Hi Max,

The measurements of the "halfround" Peterborough outwale changed slightly overtime. The measurements in the sketch below taken from a Peterborough "Otonabee" from the early 1950's.

Dick Persson
Headwater Wooden Boat Shop

Attachments

• Peterborough-outwale.jpg
    Peterborough-outwale.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 281
Max,

The drawing that Dick provides is consistent with my experience of Peterborough gunnels. The Champlains that I've seen use Spruce for outwales. Fir or Pine would make a reasonable substitute if Spruce is unavailable. Ultimately , use what you think best.

Thank you Dick! That is very helpful. They are not at all like the usual Old Town and others then. These didn't seem to taper in any dimension toward the stems. Is that correct? I had to chisel a divot at each outwale screw and wind the steel screws out with vice-grips. The end grain looks like the outwales may be ash while the inwales are clearly spruce. Does your experience confirm that also?

Doug,

Your mesage must have come in while I was posting this last one. I scraped the paint off of a 12" section of my original outwales and they are clearly Ash. Perhaps they used different woods at different times or whatever they had on hand. It looks like any of the above would be OK. I'm not trying for any kind of authentic "restoration" but I would like to get most of the details right. For example, the original seat frames were doweled, and are coming apart as all dowel joints do eventially. I will re-do each joint with a loose tenon. Thanks for your help. I can use all of the advice that I can get.

These didn't seem to taper in any dimension toward the stems. Is that correct?

The Otonabee model's outwale tapered a touch in thickness over the last 10" or so. However, I can't recall the Champlain doing that.

Dick Persson
Headwater Wooden Boat Shop

Peterborough Outwales

Max,

The original owner of my Pete. replaced the outwales on my canoe. Before I ever saw the canoe, his son, (my best friend) said he would always remember the beautiful "White Ash" outwales that it had when it was new. His dad used yellow pine and painted them green. And thats why I replaced them with Ash.

Fred

Back