In the water

chris pearson

Michigan Canoe Nut
Finally put the Fifty Pounder in the water. My daughter Rose was the model, plus I got her to work on her J-stroke! It took a while to restore, not in the best of shape when I found it. Nice to solo, very responsive and I've always wanted one for solo canoeing. The floor rack and rub rails were on the original order. The inwales, outwales, decks and rub rails are new. As well as some new ribs and planking. I forgot to mention that it's going to Rose as soon as I'm done with it, ok, maybe before that......

Attachments

• 102_2350 (2).JPG
    102_2350 (2).JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 647
  • 100_9344.JPG
    100_9344.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 727
  • 100_9359.JPG
    100_9359.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 737
  • 100_9387.JPG
    100_9387.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 683
Chris,
As per your usual standard -a job well done. Also as Kathy said Rose is a very lucky young woman. It will be, I'm sure, something she will treasure as her life progresses. A wonderful gift from the hands of her Dad.
Denis

Chris,
Beautiful team, you must be very proud. Rose looks like she's got everything under control. Good for you.
Dave & Peggy

Color and.....

thanks! First, the color is Kirby's Permenent Green in satin. Dave McDaniel's 15 foot Thompson is that color and I salivate every time I see it. I love posting to this forum, not to boast, but to share what we all love....:)

paddling instructor

The canoe looks really great Chris. Who taught Rose how to solo paddle? Like was already said, she looks to have it under control and like she knows what she's doing. Nice work.

Very very nice. Beautiful job. Gives me inspiration to get busy on mine. Love the rub rail. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Jim C.

YEs, as said above, that is a beauty!
I too love that colour and the rub rail is fantastic to my eye. Was this a common feature to certain makes of canoe?
I have never seen something like that on any Chestnuts. Would it be more common on the older canoes I wonder?

Chris --

Really, really nice work -- gorgeous canoe (including the floor rack)!

Was the stern seat originally mounted high? On my 1931 fifty pounder, both seats are hung lower, like your bow seat, and I have been under the impression (don't know why) that mounting the seats right under the rails was an earlier practice. I've been thinking of raising my stern seat, like yours.

Greg

Greg,
My canoe was original with lower seat in front, higher in back. Thanks for the compliment, photos hide all sins!

Chris, beautiful job. It' a shame to see so many go to ruin but a relief to see the lucky few be reborn.

Back