Huron fixer upper - first try

webmax

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Last year I came across a huron cedar canvas canoe in fairly good shape, but in need of some tlc. The price was right, so I bought it. I figured it would be a good first cedar/canvas project.
The canoe was missing the outwales, and the stem tops were rotten. The canvas was tacked to the inside gunwales, I don't know if this is a common feature with huron canoes, but becasue of this I think the moisture was trapped and most of the canvas was rotten on top and came apart.
I didn't want to restore it, just fix it up so I can use it a few years and then do a full restoration, if necessary.
So this spring I took the canoe in the garage and fixed it as good as I could. It was really a nice experience, but it took me a lot longer than I first anticipated. I probably did some things in a way that some of the purists would frown upon, but hey it's my boat.
Now it is ready for the first trip, just in time for my vacation, where I plan to use it on some lakes in the Alberta Rockies. I'll post my 'adventures' in the places to paddle forum, when I'm back.

Cheers,

Max

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 283
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 312
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 271
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 298
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 326
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 306
Nice going Max. It's amazing how many Hurons become the "first of many" in the WC canoe rebuild world. They were my first and like all first loves hold a special place in the soul. I've kept two of them, a 14'6" and a 16'. They seem to take me out on the water way more often than any of the other boats I have.

Yours looks like one of the better made ones. Maybe a Wednsday. I have a Monday, "getting over the weekend hangover model", everything is totally wonky and a Friday, "lets get this done and get out of here" model. Love them both.

Have fun in the Alberta Rockies. I grew up there so will be most interested in your tales of adventure when you get back.

Back