14 foot Huron

Alerion Sailor

Hello I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for some canoe guru experienced opinions.

I have purchased a 14' Huron canoe, it has a new canvas skin on it but has not been finshed.

I'm not sure what the previous restorer has done :confused:to the canvas it looks like the canvas has been varnish as a first coating, and as a second coating there is thin a opaque green layer of something for filler. Thankfully the canvas has not been glued to the wood so I'm relieved about that.

The previous owner must have run out of interest as he varnished the entire canvas and only applied the green filler to one side of the canoe.

I will post some pictures this afternoon.
Rufus

Looking forward to your pictures, Rufus. You've found the right place to get some answers.

You probably have poked around the internet enough to suspect that what's on your canoe may be something different from the usual way of treating canvas-- starting with filler that goes directly onto the canvas, followed by paint. But from reading posts in these Forums, I've learned that various treatments have been tried in the last 100 years or so. It'll be interesting to see what you have.

Kathy

Canoe pictures from this morning Help identify the green googe and you could win a free ? :rolleyes:

Well you get the picture I'm not sure what it is but it looks like a fibre glass resin or even a automotive body filler:eek:.

under the filler is a yellowish type product that could be varnish or a antifungal type coating.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks in advance
Rufus

Attachments

• L1020392.jpeg
    L1020392.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_4802.JPG
    IMG_4802.JPG
    178.4 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_4803.JPG
    IMG_4803.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 387
  • IMG_4804.JPG
    IMG_4804.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_4799.JPG
    IMG_4799.JPG
    194.5 KB · Views: 437
  • IMG_4808.JPG
    IMG_4808.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 351
My "expertise" is limited to being able to say that you have what appears to be a nice little canoe, and a very cute dog and child. Dogs and children add to the happy times we have and memories we make with canoes.

Kathy

Last edited:
beats me.

If it were me, I'd take that canvas off and start over. If you'e feeling adventurous you could put a quart of primer and a quart of enamel and see what happens. Worst case scenario; you lose the money you've spent on primer and paint.

Starting over means you are going to spring for canvas AND filler and primer and paint but probability of success is higher.

If I had any better knowledge of what is already on it I might consider taking the chance. Rustoleum seems to stick to most anything. So, it's a toss up.

"So you're going to have to ask youself, 'do i feel lucky?' "

Let us know.

Kid needs a decent boat.

I'm confused. Is the green canoe in the first picture the same canoe? Actually, looking again at the photo, it can't be the same canoe.

The other things that you need are some Outwales and a pair of stem bands.

I agree. Winter is coming. The canoe appears to be in good shape. Nothing better for a winter project than a canvas and filler job. Then the toddler will develop into a fine paddler.:D

Cheers,

Fitz.

Attachments

• BManShorty2.jpg
    BManShorty2.jpg
    424.3 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:
Kathy the little one is definately the biggest joy in my life. My guess is the googe is Canadian Tire Bondo I don't know how well it holds up. I suspect it would last for a while but I don't know how long.

Dave do I feel lucky only sometimes, I guess the replacing the canvas is the best and probably the way I'll go. Canvas is only worth $30 - $40.

Fitz the young fella looks like he got the paddle bug lets hope he sticks with it.

I have the stem bands and outwales. The outwales look to be fir and are shaped like a corner molding one would install over old wood panelling, I don;t know if their original yet.

Earlier this year I recanvassed the deck on my sail boat it went on pretty smooth so I may try recanvassing this 14 footer.

I also have a 16 foot Huron in much tougher condition it needs all new rib ends, decks, seats, thwarts gunnels funny thing it only has one broken ribs but the rest is a disaster. It was fiber glassed interior painted green It took at least 20 hours to remove the FG, resin and painted. I almost gave up three times.
Now to repair the rib ends.(what have I gotten my self into)
Rufus

Bondo often does not do well when immersed in water for a long time, and is not very flexible when well set -- not a good filler.

If you haven't got it already, most people here recommend highly "The Wood and Canvas Canoe: A complete guide to the wood and canvas canoe" by Jerry Stelmok and Rollin Thurlow. Gives all you need to know about canvasing, and about repair of all the wooden parts of a canoe. Available from, among many other places, the WCHA online store.

Back