Help replacing gunwhales. Huron Canoe

babinke

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hey,

Im currently restoring my Huron canoe and im at the point where I need to install the new gunwhales and deck. I have the old outwhales ready to be removed and I was wondering what steps I should take from here.

The new ash gunwhales are all cut to width and thickness but not exact length ( an inch or so on either end)

Im not worried about the outwhales really, its more how to remove the inwhales and putting the new ones in and having them cut exactly the same without ruining anything.

Attached is a picture of a picard deck identical to mine. The inwhales are screwed into the deck but I cant get at the screws because the planking is in the way.

Do the inwhales and decks come out as one?

Just looking for some suggestions.

Thank you

Keith

Attachments

• picard_deck.jpg
    picard_deck.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 253
Hello Kieth,
You could take the deck out with the in-whales but it might be the worse for it. You'll still have to take the top planking off to screw the new decks in. Thus, removing some planking is a necessity. The real chore is to remove the rib nails without splitting the rib and that is more what you want to focus on. Get your in-whale ready and do one side at a time to hold shape. If you tarry with the ribs too long they will try to straighten out. Experimentation will show you the best way to get those rib nails out with the least splitting of the rib top. Good luck and someone else can chime in.

Ok Thanks! What type of screws should I use for the gunwhales? Is it stainless or brass or?

Should the Ash gunwhales be treated with something or varnished?

Thanks for the help

Last edited:
I did new inwales on a Bastien Bros Huron last year. I removed the top row of planking to get at the nails holding the inwales in place, removed the nails to remove the old inwale, then fastened the new, one side at a time, using silicon bronze nails through the existing holes in the ribs. I predrilled the ash to accept the nails easier.

If you go into this thread... http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?8532-This-is-my-first-cedar-canvas-project, then the Photobucket link, the second page of the Photobucket album shows replacing the inwales.

Karin

Back