Help in identifying Peter borough canoe

brujolito

I am seeking help in identifying a canoe that I believe to be a Peterborough sailing canoe.

The canoe was purchased in 1956 from the estate of an orthodontist in Reading PA. The canoe had been kept in a camp that he owned (I believe) in Ontario, but was brought to PA as part of the estate. AT the time my brother and I stripped the old varnish, while maintaining the winged arrow design on the bow (it can be seen in the attached pic). Somewhere in the late '60s or early '70s, we glasses the keel area and the bow and stern stems, which had cracked. In the '80s minor repair work was done to the fore deck and a rudder attached via pintels(sp) and gudgeons(sp). The spars and sail(larger area) were replaced at that time. The leeboards are original (at least to the time that we purchased it.)

I have not seen any examples of the rounded (convex) decks (fore and aft).

The inset is a scan of the brass stamped tag (medallion) screwed at either end of the center thwart.

Any help?

Bror Hultgren

Attachments

• Peterborough Canoe crop.jpg
    Peterborough Canoe crop.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 725
Looks like an early Comet that had been rigged for sailing. Should have a bow locker with a door and holes for paddles too. Not positive on the era of thwart tag, but someone can jump in on those. Teens or 20s I think.

Thank you Andre, It does look like the Comet that you restored. No evidence of a bow locker. I should have mentioned that it is 16' long. I have stored it for the last 25 years. Need to deal with it......I may avail myself of your expertise when I get it down from storage.
Question....Did it originally have straight grained bow and stern stem blocks or were they originally bent/streamed?
Thanks
Bror

Last edited:
Back