Help I.D. this Canoe

Wallyg8r

I aquired this canoe a couple of years ago. It sat under a couple of cedar trees upside-down on a stand for years, and the topside wood was mostly rotted. I've replaced all of the rotten wood with mahogany and stabilized the canoe structurally, but I can't seem to find any examples of this type of wood and canvas canoe. I assume it was a kit, mainly because the finish is somewhat crude. The good news is that everything seems to be easily replaceable. It's construction is simple, and would be fairly easy to reproduce.

It paddles great, and I'm proud to own it, but I have no idea who made it or when. Any help would be greatly appreciated. (Note:) I realized after I posted that I managed to put this in the wrong forum.

IMG_1617.jpg

Last edited:
I.d.

Looks like you have a nice example of a Trailcraft canoe. They were sold as kits in the 60s and 70s. There are some other recent discussions on the site regarding these interesting canoes. Regards, Bob

I'll second the Trailcraft. I went to look at one near Delmar, NY about 2 years ago. Was in pretty tough shape, though!

Thanks

I did a search on this site for Trailcraft and believe my canoe is indeed a kit from this company. This website is truly a great resource, with lots of knowledgeable people, and a good database of info. I knew it wouldn't take long once I posted a picture!

Roy

Back