General advice for cedar strip canoe storage

Yoakum

Hello,

I just inherited a gorgeous cedar strip canoe from my father in law. I’m very concerned with honoring his memory and paying respect to the hard work he put into this piece. I live in Sacramento California but don’t really have indoor lodging long enough for the canoe. I’ve don’t some woodworking before and understand about temperature and moisture causing movement in wood and want to avoid this if it’s a concern. I’m planning to build a boat house for the canoe and it can live on the shady side of the house until I win the lottery.

I’m hoping for what ever general advice people have to store such a beautiful piece of craftsmanship and what degree of protection from the elements I should prepare for. Thanks!

-Chris

Welcome aboard!
I owned a strip planked and fiberglassed Melonseed. For several years I stored it on a trailer in the backyard under a fitted Sunbrella cover. The cover suffered but the boat didn't.

In general, keep it covered, out of the rain, out of the sun and off the ground. Sun is worse in the short term, but water damage can happen quickly if the boat is neglected and left on the ground. Even wrapped in a tarp moisture can build up inside, but this is probably not as much of a concern where you live. Also, make sure it is secure and can't get blown around and damaged. If it really is an heirloom you might consider asking an acquaintance to store it hanging inside a garage or under a porch awning until you have proper storage.

Mark

It is simple to make canoe stands/horses that you can cover with a tarp.
Leave it loose fitting for air circulation. Also put on two cross pieces and one centre 2x4 to keep the tarp from laying on the canvas.

Attachments

• canoe horses.jpg
    canoe horses.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 47
Back