Multiple canoe storage issue - looks for a solution / input/ insights

Douglas Kestell

Lignum Linter Fanaticus
So I am running out of room - my 4 place canoe trailer is full with restored canoes. I have one I’m working on and 2 more I’m picking up in a couple weeks that need to be restored

Of course parting with any I’ve restored is not an option right now, but I don’t have room in my shop/shed anymore.

What do others do to store their canoes?

I live in Wisconsin and have considered building a covered stand alone structure to rack them during the winter and when I’m not using them.

Do I need an actual building with walls or can I have tarp walls?

Is this a bad idea?

Id rather not put them in a rental storage unit, but if that is the recommendation, then I’ll have to bite the bullet.

Just wondering what others have done in my situation ( in the throws of a canoe collecting affliction)

Thanks!

Hi Doug,

Storage units certainly do work, as do garages, sheds, barns and such. With any of these it's important to do whatever possible to ensure that the canoes stay dry and pest free (rodents, porcupines, wood-destroying insects). Uncovered outside storage can lead to all sorts of problems from water, snow load, animals, falling tree limbs, hail, high winds, and more. Covering with a tarp doesn't help much with most of these potential problems plus a tarp can hold in so much moisture that it exacerbates the potential of fungus and rot.

It sounds like you're serious about this so you might want to consider building a structure to house both your restored and unrestored canoes. A strong roof with good overhang would solve many of your problems; walls would be even better.

Doug,
When I had a lot of canoes around, 6 were hanging in the garage, 9 were on a doubled up rack attached to the outside back of the garage, and a few more were on a boat in one of those garage-tents. I also had a free standing 4 place rack in the garage. A rack in a garage tent could potentially hold 6-8 canoes - just keep the snow from getting too deep on it..

At one point I was going to build a 21x33 "pole barn" to store a boat and a bunch of canoes, but it got overcome by events.

Last edited:
Here's another idea - keep them close!
Grace_Living_Room_sm.jpeg

Canoe and lamp.jpg

Storage is a problem. It keeps people out of this hobby. Here's what I have learned. No matter how much storage room you have, it's never going to be enough.
I have tried just about every possible way to deal with too many canoes. The solution is either to get rid of some, build a storage building, or rely on friends to take in some of the excess.
We are currently shopping for a new home that includes a storage building with enough space for about 15 canoes and room to work. If we don't find that, and if the house price is right, I will have a pole barn put up. Since I've been downsizing, a three stall is about what I need.... :eek:
I have used outside storage. At our previous house I built an outside storage rack that held 6 canoes. I had each canoe wrapped in a tarp and then a tarp over that. Snow managed to pile up and bury the whole thing several times. The tarps would deteriorate, blow away...not ideal. I will not do that again.
Once you have used up every available inch of storage space, after you have filled all of your friends extra space, you have no choice but to build.

Doug, I have thought about building a free standing pavillion/pergola and encasing the sides in something like canvas to keep rain and sun off the boats. The remaining issue someone mentioned is keeping out birds or other animals. If you have indoor storage for good boats, the users or ones waiting restoration could be out in the pavillion. I went the storage unit route last year when I lost my shop. In a 10x20' storage unit I put a 4 up rack on either side with an aisle down the middle. The rest of my canoes are stored in barns and warehouses in the area. At some point I'll likely lose track of what's where and in 30 years....... a new generation of barn finds.

Mark

Don't know if this applies to you... I have deck attached to the house that's about 7ft off the ground. I built two 'tarp tents' - each tent is just a long & wide tarp which is nailed to the deck joists in a 'U' shape by 2 firing strips spaced about 33" apart. Each tent has a pulley system inside that can raise one canoe up to the bottom of the joists - this leaves space below for another canoe atop sawhorses. The tarp keeps the rain out (mostly) and allows easy ventilation.

I am new to the board but I am in the same spot. I am looking at shipping containers. They have space, are modular, lockable, and can have infinite modifications. Wish me luck!

Back