fiberglass on 1990 OT Molitor

pathologist

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I'm looking at a 17 ft., 1990, OT Molitor that is for sale "on line." It is a beautiful boat but obviously covered with fiberglass. Among other questions, I asked for the length of time the fiberglass has been in place. The seller is telling me that the boat came from the factory with fiberglass and that " buyers had a choice between traditional canvas or fiberglass." Was this choice offered?
Thanks, Pathologist

The seller is telling me that the boat came from the factory with fiberglass and that " buyers had a choice between traditional canvas or fiberglass." Was this choice offered?

Yes, as shown in the 1990 catalog page below that states "Exterior covering: Fiberglass. Canvas optional." The 1965 Old Town catalog was the first one with the Molitor model as shown at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/covers/large-65.gif and 1966 was the first one to offer wood canoes with fiberglass coverings in place of canvas.

Benson

Attachments

• PAGE-14.JPG
    PAGE-14.JPG
    438.2 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
Mr. Gray, Again, thank you for the rapid reply. I am obviously derelict in my Old Town knowledge, but forever grateful for yours.

And, unless I am mistaken, you can absolutely forget trying to get it off as it is modern epoxy, as opposed to polyester resin...

The seller of the fiberglass-covered OT Molotor said that he had replaced the fiberglass one time, and recently. With regards to Mr. Adams' comment, I'd be interested in the removal process of the durable original glass. My intent, if I purchased the boat, was to remove the fiberglass and recover with canvas, assuming that canvas was the original factory covering. Obviously, the boat needs no return to original. It's a beautiful but pricey craft. I only invest in those that need help.
Thanks much, Pathologist

And, unless I am mistaken, you can absolutely forget trying to get it off as it is modern epoxy, as opposed to polyester resin...

I don't remember OT ever stating publicly, but I don't believe it was epoxy. These so called in the catalog "reinforced plastic" coverings were being offered well before the current styles of epoxy resins for boatbuilding came on the market. There were also instances where the covering showed small areas of delamination (even when brand new and still in our showroom) like half-dollar sized bubbles that you could feel with your fingers. That sort of thing is very rare with epoxy.

Removal of either polyester resin/fiberglass or epoxy resin/fiberglass is done with a heat gun and scraper or putty knife. It's a slow, tedious process, but often substantially faster on the polyester version because it doesn't adhere to wood as well as the epoxy does.

Back