Feeling Sorry for a Boat

Kathryn Klos

squirrel whisperer
This is a very appropriate forum for this particular canoe: wood canvas/fiberglass. Add to that "water-filled" and "left to rot outside a junk shop".

The canoe is a 15 footer, built by Detroit Boat Works, and is nearly a hundred years old. Its junk shop home is in Spooner, Wisconsin.

Price was negotiated down to $375. And so, all we could do for the poor thing was to dump the water out.

But the story may not be over... will a Brave Knight of the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association be able to persuade Junk Man to make a donation to a canoe museum?

Stay tuned...

Attachments

• Spooner 6-08 Detroit h2o.jpg
    Spooner 6-08 Detroit h2o.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 412
  • Spooner 6-08 Detroit price.jpg
    Spooner 6-08 Detroit price.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 390
Go into the back issues of Wooden Canoe and read about "Merigold's Marvel. Best to start from the beginning if you can...

I've been to Poor Richard's north of Spooner, WI many times. It is SAD to say the least. The condition of the boats and canoes is disheartening.

Andreas in Minneapolis

Disheartening, indeed...

Strange that Poor Richard thinks they are worth several hundred dollars as-is.

Maybe care of these boats will change as progress is made on the proposed canoe museum in Spooner.

Attachments

• Spooner 6-08 boats.jpg
    Spooner 6-08 boats.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 353
  • Spooner 6-08 Shell Lake.jpg
    Spooner 6-08 Shell Lake.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 337
I wasn't aware of efforts to start a canoe museum in Spooner. They should get together with folks in nearby Shell Lake, WI who are also interested in getting a watercraft museum up and running. They, of course, want to focus on Shell Lake Boats.

I want to get one going in the Peshtigo, WI area for Thompson Boats et.al. It is part of the mission statement for the Thompson Antique & Classic Boat Rally, Inc. It is a long shot!

Andreas

Back