February deep freeze

not so deep freeze

terrific weather today, everyone got out for some cold clean air. Even pulled the tarp back off the next project!

Attachments

• P1160079.jpg
    P1160079.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 403
  • P1160095.jpg
    P1160095.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 416
  • P1160039.jpg
    P1160039.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 412
  • P1160044.jpg
    P1160044.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 411
Great pics guys, now I'm really "going".

I was just telling the wife last night that we had to make 2 trips up this year, just so I can keep my remaining sanity.

Andy, where did you stay?

Dan

Dan

We stayed at Camp du Nord just past Widgiwagan on Burntside for almost two weeks and spent our last week in Ely at the Stay Inn Ely. Did the sauna twice at du Nord complete with the jump through the ice. Got to visit a lot of friends and met some new ones, especially Joe Prijatel, the local snowshoe maker who gave me all kinds of helpful tips on making snowshoes. Might make a pair for the auction this year. The old log cabins at du Nord are magnificent. Love the place Winter and Summer and always hate to leave. We had a great visit with Kathy and Dennis on our way home to sort of ease the blow of leaving.

OK, Since Andre's thread is officially hijacked into a discussion of snow vs warmer climates and the critters therein, I'll be headed out on my trip to Dixie starting on Monday with fellow WCHA'er Alan Mapes.

We call the trip "Geezer Go South" and this year we will spend a month traveling through Gulf Coast Mississippi, Louisania, then the Florida panhandle, Gulf coast, across to Graceland (as in Michael) then to the SW Corner then Georgia and who knows where... Along the way we have been alerted to a possible Curmudgeon sighting (yes, Whalen!)

If you are interested in following along... www.geezersgosouth.blogspot.com

Mike

Attachments

• trip route.jpg
    trip route.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 374
  • kayak-sm.jpg
    kayak-sm.jpg
    416.6 KB · Views: 372
  • Geezers in Snow 1.jpg
    Geezers in Snow 1.jpg
    489.6 KB · Views: 386
snow

Just finished blowing out the driveway again 2 hours ago. Winter still raging, now carrying around a spare I can lift by myself. If you keep the sled you got when you were 10 you eventually end up weighing more than it does. Gotta love that elan.:D
Great looking boat, clc hybrid? what model?

Attachments

• IMG_0553.jpg
    IMG_0553.jpg
    489 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:
It's a CLC Chesapeake hull with a cedar, mahogany and birds-eye maple deck. I wish I could take credit for building it, but it was done by a guy now attending the wooden boat school. (Hmmm... maybe I should have bought the boat AFTER he went to the WBS!)

My contribution to the boat was taking a sawzall to the cockpit to accomodate my robust figure! Opened the sucker up by about 2" and got rid of the shin banging keyhole coaming. I also added toggles, deck lines, fixed a few things in the rudder system.

The new cockpit coaming is now in and looks pretty good

Attachments

• Sawzall.jpg
    Sawzall.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 377
  • Combing sm.jpg
    Combing sm.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 376
Well a winter storm has hit Southern Ontario....not that much snow necessarily but difficult driving....good thing that this weekend has two sure cures for cabin fever in the Toronto area....the Toronto Outdoor Adventure Show....and the Ontario Recreational Canoeing and Kayaking Association Seminar on canoe and kayak routes and tripping in Ontario

Dave,

You plow only 4-6"?? That doesn't seem like much snow, this isn't just a chance to fire up one of those John Deere's is it?

Andy,
ah yes, Du Nord, a nice place. And 3 weeks in God's country, I am so looking forward to retirement, too bad it's so far off. :(
Years ago, with a few work mates, we flew up to Ely for a day of cross country skiing, and we stayed at Du Nord. They got quite a kick out of us just coming up for the day. They did serve a fine meal after a day of great skiing though. Our place is on the opposite end of the lake, so we rarely get all the way down to the North Arm.

And Mike,
that looks like a great trip too, though I have a preference for going the other direction. And do you really sit in that thing? I got way too much gut to be sitting on the floor like that. Looks like fun though.

Dan

yes

Well yes. If it snows 2" or more I will plow my drive and the road out to the main road. If it snows 1/2" the Mini doesn't leave the garage. Despite what some say, Mini's do not go well on snow/ice. The John Deere has a carb issue. the Ford runs well and has chains.

Well a winter storm has hit Southern Ontario....not that much snow necessarily but difficult driving....good thing that this weekend has two sure cures for cabin fever in the Toronto area....the Toronto Outdoor Adventure Show....and the Ontario Recreational Canoeing and Kayaking Association Seminar on canoe and kayak routes and tripping in Ontario

And next weekend is the Quiet Water Symposium not too far away in Michigan.

OK, Since Andre's thread is officially hijacked into a discussion of snow vs warmer climates and the critters therein, I'll be headed out on my trip to Dixie starting on Monday with fellow WCHA'er Alan Mapes.

We call the trip "Geezer Go South" and this year we will spend a month traveling through Gulf Coast Mississippi, Louisania, then the Florida panhandle, Gulf coast, across to Graceland (as in Michael) then to the SW Corner then Georgia and who knows where... Along the way we have been alerted to a possible Curmudgeon sighting (yes, Whalen!)

If you are interested in following along... www.geezersgosouth.blogspot.com

Mike

Cedar Key, FLA hosts their annual Small Boat Meet the May 1st weekend.
Canoe sailor Hugh Horton and others are known to frequent that event.

More info via www.cedarkey.org/

Last edited:
"Our place is on the opposite end of the lake, so we rarely get all the way down to the North Arm. "

Dan, now I'm the one whose jealous. I envy anyone who has place on Burntside! It's one of the most beautiful lakes.

We like it up there, but it's a long way from Detroit. :(

We've already talked about trips up, and are now planning 2.
Back before the job change, we got up at least 2 weekends a month in the summer.

And after seeing the incredibly high property taxes here in MI, maybe the taxes in MI are so bad anymore. :)

Dan

Back