Mandatory PFD in New York

JClearwater

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
This past summer the Empire State passed legislation requiring the use of a PFD during November through May. Motorized boats over 20 ft. are exempt. Do you thing this is a good thing or just more government regulation in an attempt to legislate common sense?

Personally I wear a PFD almost all the time without the State of New York requiring it. Even in the summer Adirondack lakes do not warm up very much and if you can not get back into your canoe or it’s too far to swim to shore you’re going to get in trouble real quick. I always insisted my kids wear a PFD, even in the summer, and to set a good example always wore mine. Wearing a PFD in the winter makes even more sense. Having said that a PFD will not keep you warm in winter water. If you can’t get to shore you will be just as dead. It will however make the search for your corpse easier – you will be afloat dead rather than sunk dead.

Should there be a law that requires an extra paddle in the boat as well? How about a strap for my prescription glasses? Can’t see without them! Who is going to enforce this and is this just another way to collect fines?

You can’t fix stupid!!

Thoughts?

Jim C.

Not to sound pessimistic or morbid, but a pfd on a corpse significantly cuts down the search and recovery time, and hence the bill.:rolleyes:

In the interests of public health and safety the New York legislature is also giving consideration to mandating numerous small craft safety features. Outriggers, pontoons and other buoyancy devices will be required for canoes and or kayaks entering moving water (moving water shall be defined as water with flow of of over 2 feet per minute) when air temperatures are below 70 degrees.
Also under consideration is legislation that would require any non-motorized craft to be accompanied by one motorized craft whenever venturing more than fifteen feet from the nearest shoreline.
:rolleyes:

Cold Water PFD Law

There is a similar law on the books here where America was born. PFD shall be worn between 15 September and 15 May. As far as I can tell, the Norumbega Chapter of the WCHA are the only people that know about it.

;)

The best reason for a PFD in cold weather is because of the very real possibility that sudden immersion in cold water will trigger a mamalian dive reflex - a deep gasp for air that may actually occur while you head is below water. This will render a person unresponsive, convulsive or otherwise un-rescueable. The PFD will help keep you afloat for those critical few minutes.

That said, I'm tired of government mandating common sense (cell phones, texting while driving, helmet laws etc.) Let the rules of Mr. Darwin sort 'em out!

Not so quick Fitz

Just to set the record straight our Independence did not begin in Massachusetts. The Declaration was written and signed in Philly. The fighting may have started in Massachusetts, but the USA wasn't 'born' until the war was won when it ended in New York. The “shot heard ‘round the world” was fired at Lexington/Concord on April 19, 1775 and ended April 19, 1783 in New Windsor, Orange County, New York exactly eight years later.

All in fun, my friend.:)

I was wondering do you suppose ice fisherman, snowmobiles and ice boaters have to wear PFDs when they are out on the lake?

I was wondering do you suppose ice fisherman, snowmobiles and ice boaters have to wear PFDs when they are out on the lake?

Dont know about all that, but the last time a cop pulled me over for no seat belt I countered that I dont wear one on my Harley, but dont get pulled over for that.
No sense of humor, $125 fine. :rolleyes:

Back