Fairing compound

Meade

Curious about Wooden Canoes
What is the best "stuff" to fair in a small patch? I would also like to fair in the area where the sponsoons end. There is a small lip where the tacks are. Since I am going to re-paint I thought now would be a god time to do it.

I use Quik Fair from Jamestown.... It fills dents, divotts, and other hull issues.
I also use it to blend the ends of the sponsons to the hull...

A prominent wooden boat builder at the Maine Boat builders show has been using water proof automotive bondo for over 100 boats, won't mention his name but he was the first boat on the left, using it primarily for filling screw and nail holes. I used it on a strip built skiff that was glassed over and it's holding up fine. Haven't heard of any, on canvas, applications.

A prominent wooden boat builder at the Maine Boat builders show has been using water proof automotive bondo for over 100 boats, won't mention his name but he was the first boat on the left, using it primarily for filling screw and nail holes. I used it on a strip built skiff that was glassed over and it's holding up fine. Haven't heard of any, on canvas, applications.

Even though it allegedly holds moisture, it's not entirely unusual for restorers/builders to use a bit of bondo. If you look closely in the classifieds you might notice that one of the older currently listed canoes may have been faired with it. It looks like it has held up pretty well..
My only issue with Quick Fair is that you need to buy it by the tractor trailer load. It would be nice if it was available in smaller quantities.

My only issue with Quick Fair is that you need to buy it by the tractor trailer load. It would be nice if it was available in smaller quantities.

Quick Fair is available in 24oz. Close, but not quite a trailer load. Lasts forever in the can. Made for marine applications.
http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...lyName=System+Three+QuikFair+Fairing+Compound

A house brand "Total Boat" fairing compound is available in 2 pint. I've used it, but like the QuickFair better...seems smoother.

Quick Fair is available in 24oz. Close, but not quite a trailer load. Lasts forever in the can. Made for marine applications.
http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...lyName=System+Three+QuikFair+Fairing+Compound

A house brand "Total Boat" fairing compound is available in 2 pint. I've used it, but like the QuickFair better...seems smoother.

Good to know about the house brand. I wouldn't have tried it otherwise.
Yeah, 24 oz (I was going to call it a boat load but that sounded like an exaggeration) is just overkill for someone like me. A partly used 24 oz tub would be just one more thing for folks to dispose of when I croak..16 is a bit better.

minwax high performance wood filler. It's a 2 part, works as an adhesive also. interior/ exterior. Dries in 5 minutes sand in 30 minutes. Sticks to everything, sands easy and smooth.

Even though it allegedly holds moisture, it's not entirely unusual for restorers/builders to use a bit of bondo.

Mike, will you be christening the Gerrish the "Putty Princess"? or may i call you 007, licensed to fill?:p

Even though it allegedly holds moisture, it's not entirely unusual for restorers/builders to use a bit of bondo.

Mike, will you be christening the Gerrish the "Putty Princess"? or may i call you 007, licensed to fill?:p

Hah...Professor R.J. Dent makes an appearance. To fill or not to fill, that is the question.......shall we consult with Dr. No?:D

Back