EM White serial number

EMBurr

I am restoring an old EM White canoe, built without seats, serial number 16 50 1253. Jerry Stelmok told me it was a White and that White built them without seats for Boy Scout camps, where they learned to paddle kneeling. I assume the 16 is for the length of 16 feet, but I am trying to find out the build date and any other information available.
Gene Burreson

Hi Gene,

As far as I know, there are no existing records that would tie this number to an original build record as there are for a few of the old companies. Someone may be able to give you a general sense of your canoe's age, however, so hang-in for a reply that might tell you more. You've already spoken to an expert on the White, and Jerry might be able to give you a general sense of when the canoe was built. That can sometimes be done if we see pictures, if you'd like to post any. We like seeing pictures anyway.

Kathy

Thanks to you both. Jerry told me there was no consistency in White serial numbers then went on to say "it was probably built in 1253, shortly after the Magna Carta was signed", but you know Jerry.....

I'm going to agree with Benson, have had a few Whites with serial numbers and the construction seems to match Bensons theory.

Back