Chestnut

jrballou

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I have a 16' wood/canvas canoe with the serial number 02 6426 stamped in rear stem. Last weekends NW Chapter get-together I was told it was a Chestnut. Looking through your Canadian CD I haven't been able to pin the model down. I know it had sponsons, and I believe it's been spread to the original width before sponsons were removed. The beam now is 38", depth is 11", ribs are 1 1/2" with 1 1/2" between. It has lots of rocker, maybe some from being spread. The only one I could come up with is a Pal. Hoping the serial number will help. Jim Ballou #7802 Portland, Oregon.

Attachments

• chestnut.jpg
    chestnut.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 660
  • chestnut?.jpg
    chestnut?.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 628
  • canoe1.jpg
    canoe1.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 616
Hi Jim,
I found a page from a Peterborough catalog that may help, but Chestnut lists it as well as a option to have sponsons too. So your canoe could be either one, I would lean more to the Peterborough myself. I hope you didnt take any advice form the guy wearing the green shorts in that one picture?? :D I hope this helps.

Attachments

• sponson scan.jpg
    sponson scan.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 580
resident expert on mystery canoes

Thanks larry, just inserted the CD and will check it out. Actually the guy wearing the shorts was the resident expert on mystery canoes at Honeyman State Park that weekend. That was a great weekend, thanks again for helping make it a memorable meeting. Jim

Back