Chestnut Featherweight 11

roboboat

Hello, New to the forum and have enjoyed all the posts. I have had this old boat in my possession for some time and I'm just now getting the motivation for restoration. See the details at https://chestnutfeatherwieght.shutterfly.com/ I need some direction on where to purchase the woods (rib, gunwales and slats) for this repair. I think I'm okay on the canvas and filler mix but if you have suggestions there I'll take it. This may take me a while but I'm sure it will be a learning experience. I build a strip canoe in the 80's that took me about three years so who knows how long this will be. Time seems to pass much faster these days, Yes? Thanks for your insight...............Rob

Steve Lapey, chairperson of the chapter, I’m sure could supply you with the wood (northern white or western red cedar) you need for planking and ribs. The chapter is quite active. There are 76 members. We are in the final stages of restoring a Robertson; canvassed it last weekend, filling it on Saturday.

The chapter’s winter meeting (our 23rd) is February 7th at Hale Reservation in Canton.

Chestnuts are popular among us. I have a Prospector, as have several other members.

I owned a 11' Featherweight. Cute little booger.
Sold it and restored it for the new owner.
It came from the factory with only a stern seat.
If you paddle from the stern seat you will dump!

Great stuff guys. Thanks for all the input. I will certainly look up the Chapter and hopefully get to that Winter meeting. Dave, your comment on dumping from the stern seat is appreciated. I thought it might be a bit squirrely. Again thanks for all the direction on supply....Rob

Back