Bubbling on canvas

beeman86

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hi folks,

I am new to this wonderful site and the world of wood and canvas. After many years of coveting I finally picked up a Chestnut Fort (I believe). There were two broken ribs in front of the aft seat just on the
curve of the hull below the waterline. The ribs wanted to straighten at the break and as a result pushed outward separating the planks and leaving a bump on the outside of the hull. The canvas was not punctured

To decided to repair it until I re-canvas and replace the ribs.I used a tension strap with a padded block
to push the ribs almost back into position. Then I steamed and bent 1/8" ash strips, laminated them to
make 1/4 " strips and then epoxied and screwed them on top of the broken ribs. It worked very well
although it's not terribly pretty.

When I released the straps, I noticed that the canvas, which I suppose had been stretched by the
broken ribs had bubbled - a spot about 3" x 2" where it had been pushed out.

My question is - will my be canoe be ok through this fall and next summer when I plan to fix everything and re-canvas?Will it be prone to tear easier if hit?

Thanks!

Last edited:
You should probably be OK, but it depends upon how much the canvas has been weakened. Who knows, it may even have had its last canvas put on over the rib deformation? I'd just go paddling with a roll of duct tape in your bags and deal with it when and if the issue ever arises.

I agree.

I would keep an eye on the paint and filler on the "bubble" which might be prone to cracking or chipping away because of the looseness of the canvas, and therefore create a slow leak. But I wouldn't worry about it. If the paint/filler fails, simply seal by repainting that spot when you get a chance, and cover with duct tape until you can paint. And I suppose the bubble might be slightly susceptible to snagging and therefore tearing, but if that should happen, the canvas can be repaired, and before the repair, duct tape will provide a temporary cure. But other than taking a little extra care when around sharp rocks or snags, I wouldn't worry.

Much better to carry a role of tape and paddle now, and then recanvas at your leisure when it won't take time from paddling.

That sounds good.Thanks for the advice.

I'll be taking her on her first voyage in about 10 years this week on a trip to Grundy Lake Provincial Park - can't wait.

Marlowe

Back