Repairing broken ribs

John Anevski

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I have 3 broken ribs on my 1976 Old Town Guide (sneaky rocks). I'm wondering how others have repaired them.

Everything else (canvas, etc.) is still in good condition, so I just want to repair the ribs. I do have "The Wood & Canvas Canoe" book by Jerry Stelmok and Rollin Thurlow, which shows one method. I thought I had read on this forum a while ago about other methods used. I did do a search but couldn't find the discussion, maybe it was before the "big crash."

Any suggestions/help would be appreciated.

Thanks, John

You can do something like this. Not as strong as replacing the rib, but if you don't have a nasty break, should keep you afloat until hit your next rock. (for your american canoe, you might not want to use robertson screws:) )

These were not really deforming breaks. I cut the splits out of some broken ribs, matching the curves to the section being repaired. Then carved on them a bit until they fit.

Attachments

• Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    679.3 KB · Views: 372
I've sistered several ribs. I always fine one when paddling barefoot. Other than that problem, I think it is a wasy to get a useable canoe back in the water until it needs a canvas. At that time I would remove and replace the offending ribs.

Back