Best canoe cover for cartop transport?

I agree with the above, and always use front and rear tie-downs whenever possible.

For a long time, our cars have had trailer hitches with convenient metal loops or holes for anchoring rear tie-downs.

The Subaru (2009 Outback) pictured in my post above above had sturdy, accessible, steel front towing loops I used to anchor the bow tie-down lines.

But while our current Outback (2018) has sturdy steel front towing loops, they are, as a practical matter, unusable for tying down loads on a roof rack . So I have been using the second kind of tie-down loops shown in the post above, for the past several years. They are easily placed under the hood, and easily stored when not in use. I was initially dubious about them, concerned that the car's hood might be distorted by using them, or that the hood/loop combination would not be strong enough. But the hood shows no distortion, and the combination is quite sturdy. And the loops are easily placed, and easily removed and stored in the car.

I recently travelled more than 400 miles, mostly on interstates, between Maine and New York, to deliver our 16’ OT Ideal to its new owner. To keep up with traffic, speeds on the interstate were generally above posted limits, wind was gusting around 40 mph, and there were frequent periods of torrential rain – not a pleasant trip. But the canoe was rock-steady the whole way, tied down as usual, including the under-hood tie-down loops, which performed very well.

But I don't think I would have travelled in those conditions with a birch bark on top of the car.

IMG_E7061 s.jpg
IMG_E7062 s.jpg

Hello Everyone,
Well, the 9+hour (550 mile) drive from Mid Quebec to MA was uneventful. I took Michael's advice and wrapped the 12 ' 6" birchbark canoe in plastic, put two layers of rubber pipe insulation on the roof racks to support the gunwales and then strapped the canoe to the racks. I was able to drive 65-70 mph most of the way, with 60% of the trip in the rain. The only downside was the noise from the plastic. I had to wear earplugs the entire trip. I might add that the plastic wrap did stick (but came off easily) to the spruce gum (joints) and it was 55 degrees so any warmer could be a future issue.
More than anything I am thrilled. Now that Steve and Henri have retired, there are only a small handful of craftsman making these, and the two day exhausting trip was worth it. My Algonquin Abekani awaits its first outing!
Thank you to everyone who offered advice and guidance, the WCHA is a true community of friends.
IMG_5405.jpg

Back