B N Morris canoe FS on Craigslist

Thanks for posting this. I may have to call the seller and ask some questions. Wish he'd posted the serial number so I could check if I already know this canoe.

I should add that I'm not interested in buying this canoe but am looking to add it to our database if it isn't already there. So if you're interested in buying it, don't worry that I'm thinking along that line. (I'm involved with restoring one at present.) So... give it a happy new home, someone. Can't see the thwarts well enough to tell if they're original, but the seat looks nice. Wish he'd offered more interior-shots instead of the bottom-side.

There is also another that has been posted for a bit longer.
I make a habit to letting folks do their own fishing.
I had a decent canoe stolen away from me after I reached an agreement with the seller and after someone drew attention to the listing on this site.
If I was in the middle of buying this canoe and a bunch of Morris crazed WCHA members suddenly were pursuing the boat I would be pretty upset.
I was when it happened to me.
Fortunately this is one is a Morris and they are relatively common. The one I lost (someone mentioned it here and someone else came in with more cash) was a Gerrish.

Even Kathy trying to collect provenance is (IMHO) may alter the sellers mood. I had yet another case of a seller deciding to significantly raise their price after a WCHA member (who did not want to buy it) gave the seller an inflated valuation......

All well intentioned but not cool, at least not as far as I am concerned.

Some members who discover a Morris for sale will email me or contact via facebook, which is much "quieter"... and most are canoes I already know from having done my own exploration. This one may be as well and I just never got a picture of it. I have actually never called anyone who was selling a canoe unless I was interested in buying it... and if I have emailed anyone, it would be to request details that any buyer might ask-- I am aware of a possible problem re fishing expeditions that might inspire a seller to think he has something super-rare and valuable. Hope I haven't ruined anyone's chance of getting a canoe for a decent price.

If I call this seller, it wouldn't be until after the canoe is sold...

Hello

I should add that I'm not interested in buying this canoe but am looking to add it to our database if it isn't already there. So if you're interested in buying it, don't worry that I'm thinking along that line. (I'm involved with restoring one at present.) So... give it a happy new home, someone. Can't see the thwarts well enough to tell if they're original, but the seat looks nice. Wish he'd offered more interior-shots instead of the bottom-side.

I'm pretty new to WCHA (not actually a member yet), but I see you seem to be the go-to Morris person. I'm not interested in buying it either, as what I'm actually looking for is a small Chestnut canoe for solo paddling, which I can still lift singlehandedly. This Morris doesn't lend itself that well to solo paddling. I noted it here because I figured otherwise a lot of dedicated wood canoe people would never see it. I figured that would benefit both seller and buyers.

I do like the Morris canoes. Like I mentioned, I don't see one FS every day. They seem to be relatively rare, are beautifully designed and crafted, and, I believe, were the models for Chestnuts. So although I am tempted by this example, since it seems to be in such good condition and not too expensive, I will pass this time.

I should think it would be OK to contact a seller, as an individual or as a representative of an historical association i.e. the WCHA. You are NOT running a scam, you are doing historical research, and usually I would think owners know their canoes have historical interest.

As for making people think their canoes might be worth a fortune, I just remind them that they were once produced by the hundreds of thousands, many still exist (because they're so beautiful), but demand has declined dramatically. If they were rare, and demand high, they would be expensive. But that's not the case, yet. It's one of the advantages of this hobby... very fine canoes can be had at a very reasonable cost.

Anyway, very nice meeting you.

Last edited:
Good to meet you too!

Keep watching the ads in the classifieds here and elsewhere, and the canoe you have in mind should eventually come your way. Check through old posts here (using "search" in the upper right) if you want to read past-posts about the Chestnut. (What I know about any canoe-type comes mainly from what people here have shared.) But there's also a great book on the Chestnut... available in the WCHA Store and at libraries, etc.

Kathy

yankee2;61015I'm actually looking for is a small Chestnut canoe for solo paddling[/QUOTE said:
As a followup and to address your specific interest...Chestnuts and Peterboroughs (Peternuts) show up in Craigslist from time to time but they might be far easier to locate in Canada.
You should have many more choices and also find the prices to be a bit more reasonable.
The search tool that you might try using is Kijiji.
http://www.kijiji.ca

Wood and canvas canoes tend to be called cedar strip in Kijiji so your search terms may need to be different that what you use on Craigslist.
The small Chestnuts are nice boats.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. I may have to call the seller and ask some questions. Wish he'd posted the serial number so I could check if I already know this canoe.

Kathy, as of today this canoe is mine; I just got it home a couple of hours ago and it's sitting in my basement alongside my 1906 Lakefield. It looks to me to be in good enough shape that a couple of coats of paint to cover the cracks will allow me to use it this summer. I figure it can wait till fall for a new skin and a refinish job on the interior.

Your assessment of it in your email was spot on. The canvas has been replaced at some time (roughly finished though), and the one thwart at least is a replacement. There's also a small (1/4" or so) hole in the canvas that I'll have to patch where the seller dropped something on it, but that should be pretty easy. I'll post some photos of it when I can get it out in the daylight again.

FWIW, we'll be at the assembly (our first!) in July and I plan to bring both canoes along. I'm anxious to get some expert eyes and opinions on the Morris...

Cliff

Great news, Cliff! I look forward to meeting you, and your canoes, this July. I'm very happy for you... and glad to have been helpful.

Kathy

Back