Asking for your thoughts please - serial FH118

michaelt

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Though I grew up in a canoe in upstate NY, I have not been in one in 30 years. I went to find the one I used while growing up and found out it had been thrown on a fire. What a shame. I decided to buy one if I could find one less than a few hundred dollars (I am married and have kids who need to eat food every single day!).

I recently became the owner of the canoe shown in the photos. It is 15 feet long and 36 inches wide. I marvel at the beauty and still can't believe how light it is. Any thoughts as to the maker?

I am unskilled but eager. I have done saltwater powerboat repair but never something so delicate and exacting. I will make every mistake except the one about fiberglassing the canoe.

Thanks for your time.

Mike T.

Attachments

• Unknown 1.jpeg
    Unknown 1.jpeg
    66.3 KB · Views: 288
  • unknown 2.jpeg
    unknown 2.jpeg
    78.3 KB · Views: 282
  • unknown 3.jpeg
    unknown 3.jpeg
    155.3 KB · Views: 275
  • unknown 4.jpeg
    unknown 4.jpeg
    130.9 KB · Views: 286
  • unknown 5.jpeg
    unknown 5.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 284
  • unknown 6.jpeg
    unknown 6.jpeg
    60.7 KB · Views: 263
It looks like a Penn Yan Rainbow, but from my admittedly limited knowledge, the serial number is wrong. If it IS a Rainbow, they are a fantastic canoe to paddle. fast, stable, and altogether fun. Yours has seen an unfortunate amount of salt water, which is the cause of the white halos around the tacks.

The Red Cedar can be rough to bend if there are broken ribs, but if you pre-soak the hell out of it, it bends ok, IF the grain is perfect!

We are all here to answer questions, so ask as they come up!

Hi Mike,

I would agree with Mark; all the signs of a Penn Yan Rainbow and that does not look like a factory serial number. Those decks and seat are all Penn Yan.

Reference the weight, wait until you add the 20 lbs of canvas, filler, and paint; won't be quite so light.

Super first canoe; I have 60 and still don't have a Rainbow.

Good luck,

Paul

Mark and Paul,

Thanks for your input.

Mark, you are correct. I purchased this canoe on the eastern shore of Maryland. I think it spent lots of time in the Chesapeake Bay. Should I deal with that salt? Wash? Sand?

I have spotted five broken ribs so far and four cracked planks. I have started reading "The Wood and Canvas Canoe" and have started to think about how I should start to think about fixing everything.

With a quick search I found Northwoods Canoe Company so I am learning the costs of canvas, etc.

I am happy to strip the old varnish, and sand, and re-varnish but I guess I don't know if it is more cost effective to repair and canvas it myself or pay to have this all done by a pro.

Thanks again for your input.

Mark and Paul,

Thanks for your input.

Mark, you are correct. I purchased this canoe on the eastern shore of Maryland. I think it spent lots of time in the Chesapeake Bay. Should I deal with that salt? Wash? Sand?

I have spotted five broken ribs so far and four cracked planks. I have started reading "The Wood and Canvas Canoe" and have started to think about how I should start to think about fixing everything.

With a quick search I found Northwoods Canoe Company so I am learning the costs of canvas, etc.

I am happy to strip the old varnish, and sand, and re-varnish but I guess I don't know if it is more cost effective to repair and canvas it myself or pay to have this all done by a pro.

Thanks again for your input.

Back