Knocking down the gloss?

Lew's Canoes

Canoe Builder
I am restoring a 60's era Chestnut, and my customer wants me to paint the hull with Benjamin Moore Impervo Enamel, which we both understand is widely used in Canada for this purpose. However, we both feel that the hull would look better with more of a semi-gloss or satin finish rather than the high gloss finish which is characteristic of this paint as it comes from the factory. No help from the local paint retailer on how to do this. Does anyone have any suggestions on additives or other tricks to knock down the gloss level without otherwise compromising the paint?

You need to add a flattening agent to the paint. I'm surprised your paint professional couldn't help, but that's what we're for, isn't it??

Among other retailers of marine enamels, Hamilton Marine carries flattening agent. See http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/4,6115.htm

You'll need to experiment with ratios of paint/flattening agent to get the level of gloss that you find most appealing. That's best done by mixing only enough paint for a single coat at a time rather than the whole can. The paint will look glossy as you apply it, but will flatten out as it dries, and you really only need to flatten the final coat.

You're right, Todd. I doesn't look like the specific flattening agent I gave the link to is compatible with alkyd enamel. I was trying to give just one example of flattening agent that I found doing a quick Google search and figured the label would be checked for compatibility. One should always make sure that you're using compatible products. It probably would be best to either check with the manufacturer for compatibility if unsure, or at a minimum, try a test coat on a piece of scrap first.

Pat:
You may want to try Ben Moore Metal & Wood Enamel. It is a Impervex Latex and called "High Gloss". However, it dries more like a satin. You can also add an exteior water-based polyurethane (clear satin). I use ZAR and mix it into the last couple of coats.

Russ Guibord
Cane & Canvas
"On the Pemaquid River"

I know Petit used to make a Satin Additive, that I would occasionally add to varnish. I still have a half can in the back of the shelf. Not sure if they still make it but it worked fine.
Pam

Back