20' E.M. White

Abenakirgn

Curious about Wooden Canoes
While I'm on a roll... Here are some photos of a very challenging restoration of, what I believe is, an E.M. White. I have another 20' White built around 1913 and everything about this canoe said E.M. White from the beveled and wide planking, shape of the thwarts, and decks, to the tapered ribs. Unfortunately, you will see in the pics, not a lot was salvageable. The canoe was given to me by a guy who restores canoes proffesionaly. After the cost of his time and materials, he would not have been able to turn a profit. I, on the other hand, was looking for a challenge, not a profit. Careful what you wish for!
I intentionally left the new wood natural rather than trying to match the dark patina of the original wood. This was a challenge project so I thought it would be better to allow one to see what was new and what was saved.
I basicaly was able to save 13 of 49 ribs, 2 of 4 thwarts, 1 seat, a handful of half ribs, and about 25 linear feet of planking. After replacing the rest - she was as good as new! 2015-08-18 13.33.41.jpg2015-08-18 13.34.00.jpg2015-08-18 13.34.27.jpg2015-09-16 09.23.45.jpg2015-09-25 08.56.21.jpg2016-06-18 07.25.25.jpg

Nice job!

Whites in good condition seem to be scarce. We have seen several that were glassed and the fiberglass was all that was holding the canoes together. One fella told us that Whites were like good boots and just got used up.

We had a visit several years ago from a young woman, lacrosse coach, who had been bitten by the wood/canvas bug when she and her friend had raced canoes in New Hampshire and her friend's White easily passed other w/c canoes as well as fiberglass and composites.

I've heard the same thing...since they were popular with guides and other woods professionals, they were used hard rather than pampered. I have an 18 1/2' guide that is, by far, my favorite.
Dave

Nice work,
these are the kind of restore's I like, taking something from the burn pile and putting it back on the water.

Dan

Super good job on the White. But it begs the question of at what point does a "restoration" become a "replica"? You have very little of the original wood left. If someone took a single thwart from a White and used it to build a canoe exactly like the one that it originally was fitted to, can he claim to have "restored" a White? Just curious. Al D

Nice work, thanks for the inspiration - i picked up an early open gunwale 18.5 White with a smashed centre section, needs about 8 ribs but the lines are incredible on these. brass stembands are intact and nice and it still has the deckplate so will be nice when its done, after all the house paint is removed from the inside!

How were you able to date it so accurately and was the original rear seat square? Thanks,

Benson

The fellow I bought it from told me Island Falls Canoe had estimated the date. Not sure if the stern seat (square)was the original. The thwarts on both 20's are shaped quite gracefully and similar to a couple of birch barks I've seen photos of. The thwarts on an 18 1/2' guide I have are much more square20160829_105314.jpg20160829_105215.jpg in comparison.

Super good job on the White. But it begs the question of at what point does a "restoration" become a "replica"? You have very little of the original wood left. If someone took a single thwart from a White and used it to build a canoe exactly like the one that it originally was fitted to, can he claim to have "restored" a White? Just curious. Al D

As I stated, this was a challenge project, and not a canoe that was to be passed off as anything else. This is also why I left the wood in contrast. I am no expert on canoes and would not say, definitively, that it is a White. Just that it compares favourably with the Whites I have.

Back