E.M. White Motor Canoe

hillierkim

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hello Everyone.
I entered a post a while back asking for any info on a 20ft E.M. White inboard canoe that I am restoring and didn't hear back from anyone so I thought I would give it another try. I did find an ad from 1908 showing this model and that it had a Chapman motor. I am including a few photos of this project for the interested. Would be pleased to hear from anyone about this unusual craft...Thanks in advance....Kim

Attachments

• emwhite 1 001.jpg
    emwhite 1 001.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 402
  • emwhite 1 012.jpg
    emwhite 1 012.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 405
  • emwhite 1 014.jpg
    emwhite 1 014.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 385
  • white.gif
    white.gif
    136.9 KB · Views: 388
  • white motoe  canoe.jpg
    white motoe canoe.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 329
I've worked on several of the boats. Its always a big job! The side are constructed as "Invisable sponsons" meaning the boats have sopnsons except instead of being build like Old Town sponsons, the sponsons are tapered about half way down the hull so they do not bulge out like the the more common style of sponsons. This pratically makes a double hull for the boat which makes it extreamly stong but extreamly difficult to retsore!
The motors were advertised as two cylinder Palmer engines.
the steering station was midships with the wheel fore and aft instead of thwartships. ther was a large coaming all around the inside cockpit and and a colapseable high curved awning over all of the cockpit.

Kim
That is an awesome canoe! I have seen newer glass canoes with electric power, but never this one. I've got to keep my eye out for one of these. Does anyone know how many were built?
Rich

Thank you

Thank you Rollin,
Canoe has had four ribs replaced, sponsons removed, canvas placed behind them, and i am now planing to reinstall them. Do you have any pic's of any of the ones you have finished? Detailed shots of motor install and keel/skeg area would be very helpfull. I also have a guestion about the seating as this one has had none. Are they just unatached seats? I was aware of the awning but I have no details on this either. Did any of the ones you have seen have lifting eyes at stem and stern? Thank you again for your reply....Kim

Here are several photos (in batches) of a White Motor canoe seen at the Wooden Boat Expo in Blue Mountain Lake, NY, a few years ago. Now that I live on the River, I would like to find one of these myself...

Attachments

• mc6.jpg
    mc6.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 354
  • mc5.jpg
    mc5.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 375
  • mc4.jpg
    mc4.jpg
    398.5 KB · Views: 363
  • mc3.jpg
    mc3.jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 357
  • mc2.jpg
    mc2.jpg
    419.9 KB · Views: 365
  • mc1.jpg
    mc1.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 373
More photos:

Attachments

• mc11.jpg
    mc11.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 329
  • mc10.jpg
    mc10.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 324
  • mc9.jpg
    mc9.jpg
    495.1 KB · Views: 333
  • mc8.jpg
    mc8.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 342
  • mc7.jpg
    mc7.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 306
Thank you

Thank you Dan and Ken. The info and pictures are very helpfull to me and will aid me in the restoration process. I really needed the shots of the keel/ prop/ rudder area as this boat had been glassed and keel was powder underneath. Anyone Know were I can get some large dimention dried white oak in Michigan or nearby area? Thanks again for everyones help.....Kim

Contact Dave Wermuth. He got me 8/4 by 10 by 20 foot from a logger friend of his. You can find his email address under the members list. Nice guy!
Denis

he got me

Did someone say Oak?

Call Bob Nelson 810-664-6091. I just called him. He says he's got some from that same pile. Would be air dried I think. Not sure what you need or if it'll work but he's a good guy, give him a call.

Attachments

• POWER-C1.jpg
    POWER-C1.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 329
  • MOTOR-B.jpg
    MOTOR-B.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 323
  • INBOARD.jpg
    INBOARD.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 472
  • MOTOR-C1.jpg
    MOTOR-C1.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 334
  • MOTOR-A.jpg
    MOTOR-A.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 374
  • History-3a.jpg
    History-3a.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 461
Thanks once again

I really want to say give my Thanks to everyone who has given me more info and pic's of motor canoes. Your help is very much appreciated. The owner of this boat is planing on taking it to events and shows next year and will now have more history to share with others who care about the develoment and origins of this style of watercraft. I have restored numerious canoes, all of which I am glad to have been part of their continiueing history. I am hoping to givre this one the time and energy it deserves. Thank you alll for your time and interest......Kim

Back