1916 old town 18' with sponsons

maizeblue

Curious about Wooden Canoes
My 1916 old town has been restored. The only original item missing are stickers.

My question is 2 part;

1) Did this style of Old Town have stickers?

2) Where can I get the stickers to complete my restoration?

Excellent! Would you happen to know where I can get information as exactly where these stickers had originally been placed? Did the 1916 Old Town have the script "Old Town" sticker on the sides of the canoe? Are those available?
Thanks for your help....

The decal would be placed on the bow deck. I'll hunt up a picture of a short OT deck with decal.

Side decals weren't used until the '50s.

Kathy

Attached is an example of the Old Town short deck with a decal, so you can see how it is placed-- centered in the wider part of the deck.

The canoe in the picture dates from the '60s and the deck itself, as well as the decal, are different from yours, but looks like a good example of "decal placement" to me.

I snarfed the picture from one of Robert Ross' ads-- he gets credit for the picture.

Attachments

• old town short deck w decal.jpg
    old town short deck w decal.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 367
Excellent! Would you happen to know where I can get information as exactly where these stickers had originally been placed? Did the 1916 Old Town have the script "Old Town" sticker on the sides of the canoe? Are those available?
Thanks for your help....

Another resource is the Canoe Photo Index here which includes the image at http://forums.wcha.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=6392&d=1225896293 showing a 1914 Old Town with short decks and an original decal. The script "Old Town" stickers did not regularly appear on the sides of the production canoes until the 1950s.

Benson

Back