Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

It's Official - my '51 OTCA project

Discussion in 'Wood and Canvas' started by mmmalmberg, Nov 25, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    mmmalmberg

mmmalmberg LOVES Wooden Canoes

Overdue for an update...
    First, I had half of an original deck decal that I wanted to complete with a decal from the store. Those turned out to be slightly bigger than the original, but I was able to splice four pieces of the new decal together to fit it to the original. I used some orange shellac to match the color (I could tell when I was sanding down to the decal that it had orange shellac on it).

IMG_9108.JPG IMG_9153.JPG

Benson Gray and pklonowski like this.
  2. dtdcanoes

dtdcanoes LOVES Wooden Canoes

WOW, stepping back for a moment does work, doesn't it. You're good company.
    Dave

mmmalmberg likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    mmmalmberg

The funny thing is when I put the orange shellac on it, it began to attack the decal, creating little breaks in it that look much like the worn original! At first I thought I blew it, then I realized it was just the right thing:)

4. OP
    OP
    mmmalmberg

OK Just getting back to this now that it's warmed up... Main things left are outwale repairs/installation and final coats of paint and varnish.

Question about the tip detail. Should I cut into the outer stem to allow for the top leg of the outwale, or trim back that inner part of the outwale to fit around the stem, or a little of both and it will all be hidden under the stem band anyway?
    IMG_1219.jpg IMG_1218.jpg

5. Dave Osborn

Dave Osborn LIFE MEMBER

Yep, cut clearance on your outer stem for the rabbet. Here is a pic of an old one.

Attached Files:

mmmalmberg likes this.
  6. Blott

Blott LOVES Wooden Canoes

mmmalmberg and Craig Johnson like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    mmmalmberg

Back to it... The last repair (that I now of)... a small crack near the back of the starboard outwale. I held the crack open while driving some epoxy into the crack with a heat gun, then did a backside repair that was pretty easy due to the curve. I used a leftover piece of spruce I'd bent for inwale repairs.
    IMG_1313.jpg IMG_1314.jpg IMG_1315.jpg IMG_1316.jpg IMG_1324.jpg IMG_1325.jpg IMG_1327.jpg IMG_1328.jpg IMG_1329.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 5, 2021