Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

'68 20' Ogilvy restoration

Discussion in 'Wood and Canvas' started by greyghost, Jan 24, 2011.

1. greyghost

greyghost Curious about Wooden Canoes

I got this canoe in June of '09 , it's a 20' Chestnut Ogilvy 1968 vintage . It'd been in a barn for a few years , the owner wasn't going to fix it so he let me have it . It had been hit by a snow plow at some point before it wound up in the barn . I finished it this past June '10 and it has made 2 trips up the North Branch of the Main Southwest Miramichi and a paddle or 2 on the Magaguadavic R .

I had to replace 21 ribs , splice inwhales and stems , a lot of planking , built a new front seat and had both front and back seats recained , new canvas , and new ash outwhales as well .

This was my 1st restoration and some of the info that I needed to do it came from this site , thanks guys .

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

North Branch MSWM (Alder Grounds)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  2. ppride

ppride Canoe Builder

Excellent job. Looks like you have a good assistant. Pete

3. Kathryn Klos

Kathryn Klos squirrel whisperer

Looks great. I love the assistant, too. Canoes and dogs--- two of the best things this life as to offer!

Kathy

4. JClearwater

JClearwater Wooden Canoes are in the Blood

Very nice! Fixing a canoe with that many broken ribs in one area is tough. Looks real nice.

Jim

5. Dave Wermuth

Dave Wermuth Who hid my paddle?

Hi G2

Great work! Your first retoration? Very Impressive. You must have had some non k9 help as well?

6. OP
    OP
    greyghost

greyghost Curious about Wooden Canoes

Thanks , besides the pup in the photo my son (also in the photo) helped me out a bit . I also got a lot of info and advice from my friend Don F.

It's not perfect but I'm pleased .