Who made this canoe?

Craig Ward

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Howdy folks,
I acquired this canoe for the princely sum of 20.00. It is a 16' cedar/canvas canoe that had been fiberglassed. I have since removed the fiberglass cloth. I am wondering as to who made this canoe. It is marked "Henry Morgan and Company", which was an early Canadian department store that was purchased by The Hudson's Bay Company in the 1960's.
Any help in determining who produced this would be appreciated.
Thanks

Okay, here's a bit more info. As stated, it's 16' long, approximately 30 to 31" wide and 11 to 12" deep. The ribs are 11/2" wide with 2" spacing.
The serial number is 1434 7578. I forgot to check for square screw heads, but am pretty sure it's Canadian made. It's in very good shape, with needing new canvas and re-finishing of the interior. The hardest part will be removing the runs of fiberglass resin in the inside. The gunwales and keel are still useable, but will need stripping as well. Might just make new ones.

The hardest part will be removing the runs of fiberglass resin in the inside.

Having just done this unfortunately I offer the following. Hopefully you are dealing with polyester resin. Gentle use of a heat gun will soften the blobs of resin and allow removal. I found a hack saw blade to be particularly beneficial when removing the resin between planks.

Good Luck.

Back