Whats this for?

Rollin Thurlow

member since 1980
I started the restoration process of a couple of canoes recently and they each had a bit of something that look a bit odd for canoes. People do funny things to there canoes but I don't have these items figured out. whats your guess?
Pictures 1&2- there are five small plastic "mirror clips" mounted, evenly distributed on each side, with the open part of the clip pointed down. there is no indication of running of steering cables, gas lines or anything like that. Its just a std O.T. 16ft OTCA, not heavily used.

Pictures 3 &4- , two eye bolts on either side at the center of the canoe and two screw eyes on either end of the keel. they could be a lot better placed if they were for hanging the canoe. It appears the canoe was used with the eye bots in place because they were bent over and efforts were made to waterproof their sealing. I think they might of made some drag on the canoe!

Attachments

• 01.JPG
    01.JPG
    175.5 KB · Views: 372
  • 02.JPG
    02.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 395
  • 03.JPG
    03.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 378
  • 04.JPG
    04.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 369
For 3+4, is it possible they lifted the boat for storage on a single point or ring, with rope running from all 4 to a single point and one rope from there up to a ceiling and through the single point of attachment? for 1+2 my only guess would be to hold a mat or carpet in place. they sure look classy though....:confused:

Rollin,
For 1& 2, maybe to string lines to tie in dunnage. For 3&4, all I could think of was lifting points of some kind. I will be very curious as to other opinions.

hanging wall display in a department store or resturaunt? Canoe on side, keel and bilge eybolts to keep it from rolling inverted, clear plastic clips to suspend display items or bannars perhaps?

I assume you would intend to preserve these classy accessories - they are obviously an essential part of the canoe's life story after all...

I'm afrad my otherwise featureless plain OT canoe will have to do without

Back