Old excursion canoes

Danroy

Curious about Wooden Canoes
My daughter took these two pictures of what I believe to be old ''Thompson" built canoes. They were apparently used by a scout troupe for various expeditions. These pictures were taken at Westminster Quay on the North side of the Fraser River in British Columbia. I'm hopeful that someone might be able to identify these canoes and I do hope that they are indeed "Thompson" made in light of the fact that the WCHA will be featuring this company at the 2013 assembly.

Dan

Attachments

• P1201222.jpg
    P1201222.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 294
  • P1201217.jpg
    P1201217.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 287
I'm gonna go with Canadian built, probably Chestnut. I don't think Thompson ever used babiche in their seats, and every one of those looks like it was babiche to begin with. Also, the planking looks a little rough in terms of layout and quality. In addition, Thompsons had a pretty unique planking pattern that was parallel with the waterline. Lastly. in looking at the Thompson CD, I can't find mention of Thompson ever making a war canoe.

Hi Dan,

Well, I am glad I was partially right. It seems that, with a little love, and some cash, they would turn out OK. However, rescue operations need to commence ASAP! They are stored in the worst way possible!

Back