Voyageur Trade Routes

Rob, will take the time to read the info linked as soon as I can. While I enjoy the tech data and experience sharing of restoring the canoes, I truly cannot get enough of the historical and inspirational information of the early builders, explorers, and indigenous brilliance that brought us here. I was not at this years Assembly due to a high school reunion. As we did decades ago we floated down from Lewiston NY to Ft Niagara soaking in the history of the place. Back then we had huge truck inner tubes with mesh bags holding Canadian beer and Mad Dog 20/20, now we relaxed in pontoon boats evading our northern neighbors coast guard. still memorial times!

I used the paint pattern from the canoe on the cover of that book for my fur trade strip canoe when I built it back around 1975. Eric Morse sometimes went canoe tripping with Sigurd Olson, as described in Olson's book "The Lonely Land", which is about a long trip down the Churchill River and a very good read. That would have really been an all-star crew to paddle on.

HB2.JPG

Back