Varnishing a Keel

SouthernKevlar

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I am beginning restoring the woodwork on my Northland canoe by varnishing the keel. Currently have put on 6 coats of spar varnish. My question is:

How many coats of varnish should I use before the additional coats become redundant?

I would assume that after a certain level of protection is reached, the "Law of Diminishing Returns" will come into play, but what is that level? I am curious how many coats of varnish the canoe maintainers, repairers and restorers of this site use.

Thank you for your help.
David

Varnish? Why not paint? Take no offense… if it‘s an aesthetic choice, then as has been said many times, “it’s your canoe”. It’s my impression that most keels are painted.

I varnished the keel on my first restoration in 1999. I’ve painted every one since. I think the paint is a better protectant.
I do varnish outer stems. I think it’s a classy look.

118 years and never a touch of paint on it. Varnish will hold up just fine if you decide to use it.
I'm not a fan of keels, but I almost always replace them if they are original to the boat. Like Dave, I generally paint them.
If the canoe has unpainted outside stems, then I will not paint the keel I think that the unpainted wood looks better and especially if you have made them from a decent piece of cherry or other attractive wood.
The keel on this boat is maple and as far as I know, original. 
1709817450116.jpeg

I echo the answers. Many canoes have been through the kingdom of derelict canoe whisperings in Lovely Lapeer and only one was varnished. AS far as how many coats, I think that you will know when you get there. For me, I generally give up before I should. It's a personal choice you have to make. Canoes tend to not get as many coats as a wood boat, like a Hacker, for example.

Thank you for your replies. The current six coats are looking good, but I will probably add another couple coats today.

I have only seen photos of 3 Northland canoes where the keel was visible and all of them have varnished keels. I also examined the keel closely for signs of any paint, but found none. There were some remains of varnish in the nooks and crannies, so I took this as another sign to varnish. With a canoe made in 1970, who knows if the keel had been totally stripped or even replaced in it's lifetime; the keel was in good shape but lacking in any coating when I bought it.

If anyone has a Northland canoe or remembers having a new one in the past, I would love to know how it originally came from the factory; painted or varnished?

Back